Sign in with
Your question

LAN/WAN issues with Home Network

Last response: in Networking
December 6, 2012 12:20:47 PM

Hello,
Full disclosure: I am kind of network challenged. Very basic knowledge, so I am asking for help from the experts.

I am currently experiencing 2 issues with my home LAN/WAN. Don't know if they are related, but here they are:

1) For some time now, I cannot connected to my wired LAN via ethernet connection. Experiencing this from both my Windows 7 Dell laptop and my iMac. Currently testing on my Dell and it appears the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller is working properly, and the drivers are fully updated. I can't however completely rule out whether it is an issue with the controller, modem, router etc...

2) Wireless service, which is provided through a Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router, currently configured as a WAP (wireless access point). This is working, but the service levels vary consistently. I have Charter ISP (30 Mbps service). Performance is consistently poor, and at times simply doesn't work at all. It goes through periods where internet access just isn't there, requiring me to refresh pages over and over until pages load.

Here is my network configuration:

I have a single home network that is both wired and wireless. I have Charter 30 Mbps ISP service. I run 2 Windows 7 laptops, and 1 MACbook Pro that typcally access the network wirelessly. 1 iMac that is always connected to the network via a wired ethernet connection directly to a wired router.

I have the Charter cable running into a SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem. This is connected to a D-Link EBR-2310 EBR-2310 Wired Ethernet Broadband Gigabit Router. Off the router I have a Wired D-Link DGS-2208 8-port Gigabit Switch. All of this is in the basement level.

On the main floor, I have various rooms with Cat 5-E cables connections running down to the switch in the basement. For wireless access on the main floor, I have a Linksys WRT54G2 V1 that is configured as a wireless access point (DHCP disabled).

As mentioned, wireless access works, but far too many service interruptions and slower than expected service most of the time. The biggest issue is that I can't even establish an ethernet connection now! I have tried to connect my Windows 7 laptop directly to the Linksys WRT54G2, but Windows Network Diagnostics indicates that the "Local Area Connection doesn't have a valid IP address". In fact, I have been unable to even find the IP address of this device anywhere on my network. The default IP is 192.168.1.1, but this times out when I try to access it.. Another example is that we have had an XBox 360 connected directly to one of the Linksys WRT54G2 gigabit ports). This worked fine for at least a year, but now does not work.

I know I threw a lot out here, but I was hoping someone could help me try to pinpoint the issue(s). I've tried all the basic Windows OS troubleshooting steps to no avail. Again, I am really networking challenged, so I am hopeful that someone can suggest some ideas, tests, logging results etc... that I could provide to help diagnose my issues.

Kind Regards!
December 6, 2012 2:52:42 PM

when you plug the cable that is coming from the DGS-2208 going into the Linksys into your Dell do you have internet access?

the other thing is that the D-Link uses a 192.168.0.xxx and the Linksys a 192.168.1.xxx IP scheme. with an IP of 192.168.0.xxx you cannot access the Linksys page you will have to assign a static IP of 192.168.1.xxx to a computer connected to the Linksys. I would log into the Linksys and change its LAN IP to 192.168.0.253
m
l
December 6, 2012 4:01:34 PM

Emerald said:
when you plug the cable that is coming from the DGS-2208 going into the Linksys into your Dell do you have internet access?

the other thing is that the D-Link uses a 192.168.0.xxx and the Linksys a 192.168.1.xxx IP scheme. with an IP of 192.168.0.xxx you cannot access the Linksys page you will have to assign a static IP of 192.168.1.xxx to a computer connected to the Linksys. I would log into the Linksys and change its LAN IP to 192.168.0.253

Thank you Emerald. I will try this.
m
l
!