Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possible to hand out different DNS based on connection on LAN?

Last response: in Networking
December 6, 2012 4:22:02 PM

Hello.

This is what I'm trying to do:

I have an Apple TV which, depending on the DNS I use, is seen as either being in Canada or the USA. I am located in Canada, but would like access to Hulu plus, the US iTunes store, etc.

Currently, I have it working so that when I'm using DNS1, I'm seen as being in Canada (which is where I am) and so Netflix access the Canadian Netflix library, iTunes access the Canadian iTunes library and Hulu Plus doesn't work at all (as it doesn't work in Canada). But, when I change the DNS on the Apple TV to DNS2, my Apple TV appears to be located in the USA—thus, I can access the Netflix US library, the iTunes US library and Hulu Plus works (as it thinks I'm in the US).

Right now, when I want to switch between the two, I manually have to change this DNS setting. What I'd like to do is:

When the Apple TV is connected to access point 1 (AP1), have the DNS populate to DNS1. When connected to access point 2 (AP2), have the DNS set to DNS2. This way, I don't have to manually re-populate the DNS setting on the Apple TV whenever I want to "switch locations". But, I'm unsure how I do this? Since I can only have a single DHCP server running on the LAN, that won't work, so I'm at a loss.

I'd like to have it set up like this:

Internet > Modem > AP1 > AP2

Primarily, all devices will be connected to AP1 and see as being in Canada. Then, when required, pop onto AP2 and be seen as being in the USA.

The kicker—I'd like devices on AP2 to still been seen by devices on AP1 (and vice-versa).

I don't even know if it's even possible to do this, and it's obviously going to be a lot more work versus just switching my DNS on the Apple TV manually when I need to, but hey, figured it'd save time in the long run...?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
k.
December 7, 2012 6:52:16 PM

Actually, if you have two routers configured in series they can each have their own DHCP settings.
m
l
December 7, 2012 7:12:54 PM

What do you mean by "configured in series"?
m
l

Best solution

December 10, 2012 6:24:24 PM

Modem->Router1->Router2
December 10, 2012 6:31:08 PM

Thanks—I was expecting it to be more complicated. Working now and thanks again.
k.
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:23:01 PM

Don't forget who gave the best answer ;) 
m
l
December 11, 2012 8:24:58 PM

Best answer selected by theboyk.
m
l
!