Problem with MN-700

I have three computers hooked up to the MN-700. Of the
three computers, two have no problems whatsoever.

The one "problem" PC has a USR wireless adapter. There
are no problems with the installation of both the card
and associated software. The problem is this: I can
browse the web with no trouble; however, I am unable to
connect to any third-party messaging software such as AIM
or MSN messegner.

The computer that has the DSL modem attached to the MN700
Base Station is currently running XP Home edition. My
laptop is running XP pro and has no trouble with its
wireless connection: I can access both the web and
AIM/MSN messegner.

I tried changing the DNS servers and the problem still
occurs with the second desktop. I also typed in all the
IP information provided by the Networking software
bundled with the Base Station and still no luck.

I am to my wits end with this problem and would
appreciate ANY help anyone here can give me. Is this a
compatability issue between the different OS? Should I
get a new wireless adapter for the "problem" desktop?

Please email any help to kpatel@kentlaw.edu. Thank you.

PaulO

It's likely a configuration problem. If you can get to
the web the networking is working.

Make sure you have a recent version of Messenger (very
old versions did not interoperate with the router). I
don't use AIM, so I don't know if it needs special
configuration. Then, verify that you are not running a
firewall or ICF on the troubled PC.

What is "ICF"? All versions for both MSN and AIM are
current so that can't be the problem. I have noticed that
when I look at "Network Connections" in the Control panel,
there is an icon for "Internet Gateway" which is always
disabled. Even when I try to enable that connection, it
never changes from being disabled. Could that be the
problem? How do I fix that?

Also, when I open the Broadband Networking application
that's bundled with the router, it never lists the
troubled PC as one of the network devices. However, it
does list the troubled PC when I look up all the addresses
that are found on the network. Does this mean anything?

Thanks a lot for your info Paul. Please let me know if
you can make anything of this new info.

Thanks again.

Kavan