Sign in with
Your question

The driver for this device might be corrupted or your system may be running low

Last response: in Windows 7
May 18, 2012 5:21:39 PM

Hi,
I own a Dell latitude D820 laptop. It had been left on, and I noticed the screen was black so rebooted it. When it came back online I was no longer able to use the keyboard or built in touch pad. I was however able to use a wireless USB mouse and keyboard so I can use the laptop and get online with it. I checked device manager and it shows several items with errors including the DVD drive so I cannot reinstall windows. The error for each item is “The driver for this device might be corrupted, or your system may be running low on memory or other resources. (Code 3)”
It doesn’t even see the DVD drive in my computer. I did a little bit of research and found a site that suggested I am missing an important file called wdf01000. I did try and do a system restore, but the only restore point available was from midnight the night before and it didn’t fix the problem.
As a last resort I might attempt to locate an external USB DVD drive, but I’m hoping to not go in that direction if possible.
Running Windows 7 32 bit version.
Thanks!
Chuck
May 19, 2012 3:39:48 AM

First and foremost why Win 7 if 32 bit ? The machine is 32bit, I would just use XP Pro, but that's just me. Best solution, without re-installing windows, would be to uninstall all the corrupt devices and drivers, go to Dell website and get the Win7 32bit drivers and install those. Due to the hyperactive plug and play searching, I suggest you turn off the auto-install features.
May 19, 2012 1:31:17 PM

Ok i'll try that, thanks. I just like Win 7, and it has worked flawlessly for over a year. I noticed last night that Windows Security Essentials quarantined several trojans, and I have a feeling they are related to this problem.
Related resources
May 31, 2012 1:53:31 AM

Do a full system scan and you know you helped give Steve Jobs PC cancer, thanks. Ironic :-D
June 21, 2012 10:09:02 PM

Hello artur_hawkwing2000,

My name is Rajeev and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

You can refer to the Microsoft Knowledge article 314060 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060). This article gives you steps to fix error code 3 and error code 10.
Run the fixit available in the article.

Thanks,
DELL_Rajeev_M
!