Network switch forums

wheezer

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hello,
In my attempt to save some money, I purchased an Enterasys 48-port managed switch (B2G124-48P) from a hardware 'broker' (read: inexpensive 'lease-return' equipment). I figured it probably came from one of several large corporate environments that have recently been 'merged' with others in the Denver area recently...
MY problem: I don't know squat about managed switches, but this was one helluva deal so I grabbed it. I mean this is a $2500+ switch with POE, and far beyhond what I really 'need' - but at $200 I figured this was 'the ticket'. And now that I am into the console interface (and subsequently the embedded web control page it supplies), I've managed to reset it to 'factory settings'. But since I DO NOT know that much about this 'level' of managed switch, I guess I really don't know what I've got - nor how to properly configure it. One thing I DO know... it apepars as though only 24 of the 48 Gigabit ports seem to 'work' (well, there's actually 52 ports counting fiber interfaces and such). Plug anything into ports 25-48 and 'nada'. So what am I missing here? Is this thing like 50% 'toast' or is there some sort of configuration I need to do to make all ports available? CAn't even talk to Enterasys without a 'service contract agreement' ($$) but I'm hoping someone here might give me a clue about this... I CAN take this back if it is truly toast (he has like eight of these beasts), but if it is just some sort of configuration thign I need to do then I guess I need some help... The embedded web interface shows all ports 'enabled' so I'm not sure what I'm 'missing' here.... Any one know about Enterasys managed switches? (I hope...)

Did you buy this switch for your buisness or just to plsy with and are you actually going to use 30 or 40 of the ports ? You mentioned saving money so I'm leaning towards you having a buisness and wanting a large switch. Since 1 to 23 are usable and 24 to 48 appear dead I believe there is a switch or setting that will turn those on.

wheezer

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
I bought this to replace our aging HP 10/100 24-port managed switch, as we're 'anticipating' an expansion this coming first quarter... and 24 ports isn't going to make it any more if that happens... My thought was, since we've just had the entire office remodeled and all the infrastructure replaced (CAT-6 throughout all seven offices, labs, etc.) that this was the opportune time to graduate to Gigabit speeds.
And then there's the consideration that we've recently moved away from our old PBX telephone system to VoIP, so this lays still another 'layer' of network traffic to what had been an "aged-out" network... So yep.. while we may not need all 48 ports initially, we will at some point, and by that same consideration, I'd like to configure this switch to 'prioritize' the VoIP traffic over the 'usual' stuff by a similar 'partitioning' of the ports.... thus my intereset in this managed switch.
It was my thought that it was just too much of a coincidence that exactly half the ports were 'dead', and I had the concept that it was, indeed, some setting someplace that might enable the other ports...
Only problem is... I can't seem to find it 'readily'.
I've downloaded the entire configuration guide for the switch from Enterasys - and printed it out... (all 568 pages of it...). So now I've REALLY got my homework in front of me just slogging thru this manual... My hope was that some 'master of managed switches' might happen across my (unintended) double-post and generously lead me in the right direction .... and hopefully save me from having to wade thru all of this configuration guide(Oh, God..)...
If the switch is bad, I can replace it.. but if it only needs re-config, then that sure seems like better use of time... And I AM curious about what this amazing switch is capable of... I have time, we seem to be 'scraping along' well enough with the old HP switch, but I'd like to 'upgrade' soon.
And then there's that aspect of some POE, too. With this, we can get rid of the 'power pucks' for our VoIP phones and alleviate at least a bit of the usual 'cable clutter' everyohe suffers from in any given office...
So that's the whole ugly story....

Just to say it because I don't know all that you have done to figure this out but is there a switch somewhere on the back, bottom ot sides that would activate the ports ? I don't have experience with large switches so I may not be much help except to maybe say the obvious.

wheezer

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Heh-heh... In my dreams... No, there's no switch, only a reset button on the rear panel in the event the username/password is forgotten or unknown. Otherwise, all configuration is done via the console connection or via the web page it will present when you address the IP of the switch...
I have to believe there is a (rather) simple configuration process - most probably done 'out-of-band' via the console cable - which will 'bond' the two 'decks' of 24 ports... God knows that's my hope, anyway ...
Or the switch is actually 'toast'....

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I have yet to see a switch that all the ports do not work, although some do just the opposite and disable all the ports. Most switches if you power cycle them with the console connected you can watch the boot process, it would tell you if there was a hardware error.

Are you really sure you wiped the configuration to factory. I have not seen this brand of switch before but it is common on commercial gear to reset just the password and leave the configuration alone. I would assume there is command that will wipe the config.

wheezer

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Hmmm... your suggestion to watch the boot process is a good one.. Hadn't thought about that but I am familiar with it since some 'issues' with Cisco routers are best observed during the boot process, so thanks for the 'jog' to my memory... I'll try this.
Well.. I was FAIRLY certain I'd fully 'wiped' the BIOS (since I followed the 'full factory restore' instructions as described in the manual for access via the console line interface) but arguably, I am not ABSOLUTELY certain of this, so maybe it's time to re-read that section and revisit this process...
So that'll make two things to try - and I'll re-check this forum for input and post results of what I find....
Pure curiosity in exploring this switch is the motivation behind putting more effort into this instead of simply returning it for another.... but curiosity is a good thing, too.. maybe not all that expedient, but still 'good'....

wheezer

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
After some delays in my efforts, I finally had the opportunity to get back to this switch - and, in the meantime, also got some assistance from a support engineer at Enterasys...
Following the instructions he sent, I once again 'wiped' the BIOS and all 'volatile' configured settings... Only to find that there was apparent damage to the switch - leaving exactly 50% of the ports 'dead in the water', on a physical level... Apparent electrical damage, would be my very amateurish assessment, but I'm not certain I could explain it any other way.
But - long story short - I returned the switch and was refunded my money since it seems that ALL EIGHT of these identical switches were identical in all ways - INCLUDING the same damage to 50% of all ports... Must've been a 'collection' of them..
And the reseller who I bought this from is - uh, shall we say - a bit 'terse' as regards his source for these switches(?)...
Regardless, I have replaced the switch with a 'plain-old' unmanaged Gigabit switch purchased from the local Microcenter store...(gotta love their prices..), and we're 'off and running'... Albeit not with a managed switch.
I am (I suppose) a bit disappointed in not being able to get this switch to full operation so I could 'play' with it, but spending this amount of time in that direction is arguably not a good investment of time, either ...

Issue closed....