Sign in with
Your question

Router cannot connect to computer

Last response: in Networking
December 8, 2012 4:09:31 AM

my D-Link DIR-600 router cannot connect to my computer and it cannot access internet connection . what will i do ?
December 8, 2012 4:32:08 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

What happens when you try to connect to it and how are you tying? Are you working with a cable from the PC to the router or trying to connect by wireless? Does the router have lights on it, showing it's connected to the Internet?

m
l
December 15, 2012 12:09:11 PM

i am using ethernet cable to connect my computer in a router. it has no light if i connect it to the computer and even it has no light in the web and in the signal. only the power.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 4:38:54 AM

i am using ethernet cable to connect my computer in a router. it has no light if i connect it to the computer and even it has no light in the web and in the signal. only the power.
m
l
December 16, 2012 4:45:02 AM

It does sound as though it's dead. When connected with an ethernet cable, the light corresponding to the connected port should glow and if there's a DSL cable form the telephone socket, hat light should show up as well.
m
l
December 16, 2012 5:53:03 AM

do you mean that the router is now damaged?
m
l
December 16, 2012 8:39:01 AM

I'm afraid it seems to be.
m
l
December 16, 2012 11:07:09 AM

what do you think is the reason why it happened?
m
l
December 16, 2012 1:40:39 PM

I can't say without seeing it but I'm trying to rescue one here right now for a customer and it has dry solder joints. It's a five year old Netgear provided by her ISP who promised to post a replacement - charged at £32 - in five working days. With Christmas looming she's wait until early January but that ISP locks their routers in so we're stuck with it until I find another one of theirs.

You'll find a cheap enough replacement for yours. By all means wait for second and third opinions but I can't think of another reason.
m
l
December 16, 2012 4:53:54 PM

You tried resetting it? Holding down reset button for ~30 secs and waiting for it to come back to life.

The DLink routers I have, though amazing for their money - do tend to die and need a reboot every so often. Strange thing is that most the time its only one device that's affected

As a result, the DLink ones are the only routers I actually use the save config option for
m
l
December 17, 2012 6:24:44 AM

Old Netgears die from dry solder - DLinks die from - what do you think? I wondered about a power surge. Lovelyoda - have you had a storm recently?
m
l
December 17, 2012 10:22:41 AM

there is a storm recently but we are not much that affected.
m
l
!