cable splitter

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
November 7, 2004 5:31:35 AM

i'm using a single mic and want to go into a stereo preamp

can i just a use a y xlr cable out of the mic or do i need a special box to
feed both channels of the mic pre

More about : cable splitter

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 6:42:25 AM

anon wrote:

> i'm using a single mic and want to go into a stereo preamp

> can i just a use a y xlr cable out of the mic or do i need a special box to
> feed both channels of the mic pre

Why not just "Y" the output of one preamp channel? Is there some reason
that won't work for you? You didn't state why you want to split the mic
output.

--
ha
Anonymous

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 02:31:35 GMT, "anon" <anonymousm@nyc.rr.com>
wrote:

>i'm using a single mic and want to go into a stereo preamp
>
>can i just a use a y xlr cable out of the mic or do i need a special box to
>feed both channels of the mic pre

There's only one channel of input, why do you need to preamp it twice?

Where's the signal going after that? If you can't route it in a
mixer, a Y-cord AFTER the preamp would be better.

November 7, 2004 2:29:24 PM

In article <1gmuhab.1ommn8q1c0iqekN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> Why not just "Y" the output of one preamp channel? Is there some reason
> that won't work for you? You didn't state why you want to split the mic
> output.

I suspect that he doesn't know any better, otherwise he would have
explained more completely what he was after. In general, a Y cable
will work just fine to split a mic into two preamp channels. It won't
be the optimum loading on the mic, but then any randomly selected
single channel probably won't either. Depending on the mic and the
listening skills of the listener, he may or may not be able to detect
a difference in the way the mic sounds when loaded by two inputs
rather than one. And if he can detect a difference, it may not matter.

One reason to split a mic to two preamp inputs is to run them at
different gains so you have some overload protection without limiting.
But since the original poster didn't say, that's just speculation.
Chances are he has one mic, two line inputs, and it hasn't occurred to
him that he could more easily split the preamp output than split the
mic input. But that wouldn't provide overload safety.

Oh, Mr. Poster, in case you were thinking about the overload thing,
better figure out how to record two mono files rather than one stereo
file. That will make life much easier after you finish the recording
and have to do something useful with it.

November 13, 2004 5:31:45 AM

Amazingly, yes you can use a Y cable! But, consider this.....Mono source,
One Mic, in-toooo a stereo Pre.
I assume you have a stereo mixer? Pan pot time to center and forget about
the Y cable. Desired effect considering a mono source will be a mono output
regardless. Unless you have watched way too many Harry Potter movies. In
which case, you are forgiven.

!