Sign in with
Your question

New Motherboard, OEM License, no CD

Last response: in Windows 7
May 18, 2012 8:08:27 PM

Well, I was planning on getting the 2500k and the ASRock Pro4-M to upgrade my aging HP-E 400z. However, there are two problems. I know that Windows licenses, at least OEM licenses, are locked to the motherboard, so I certainly don't expect it to work. Is there any non-illegal way I can get Windows 7 up and running on my new system without paying for a new copy? I've heard you can pay $25 for a reactivation, but I'm not sure of the details there. I could borrow a disk from a friend and use that, but I don't think my serial code will work in that situation.

Thanks all!
a c 478 V Motherboard
a b α HP
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 8:29:42 PM

if you have the right ms rep and tell her/him that your junking the old dog or replaced it with a new mb most times they will give you a new code for no cost. the other option if your funding is 0 right now is download the windows 8 cs. it good for a year. then buy a new windows 8 oem disk or windows 7 when you have the funds. also if your in high school or collage you can get windows 7 at a discount.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
May 18, 2012 8:30:19 PM

I've heard some stories that I, frankly don't believe. If I were you I'd contact Microsoft.
m
l
May 18, 2012 8:39:26 PM

smorizio said:
if you have the right ms rep and tell her/him that your junking the old dog or replaced it with a new mb most times they will give you a new code for no cost. the other option if your funding is 0 right now is download the windows 8 cs. it good for a year. then buy a new windows 8 oem disk or windows 7 when you have the funds. also if your in high school or collage you can get windows 7 at a discount.

And I could use my friend's disk? Interesting.

How much, exactly, is the student discount, and how can I get it? A quick look at Microsoft's site implies it's just for prebuilt PCs.
ram1009 said:
I've heard some stories that I, frankly don't believe. If I were you I'd contact Microsoft.

What do you mean?
m
l
!