Sign in with
Your question

Samsung smart tv not connecting to internet

Last response: in Networking
December 8, 2012 3:27:31 PM

hi, i have recently purchased samsung smart tv 8 series, but when i try connecting it to internet by lan/ wan it says connected to router but not able to connect to internet contact your isp. though sometimes it connects and then goes to the previous status in short time. i am using leoxsys 54 g-dl 54madsl2+router and i have bsnl ul750 plan. both samsung and bsnl tell its not problem on their side. i am able to access internet on other devices through the same. i have tried using alternate dns server.
sy
December 8, 2012 6:25:45 PM

Pull up the mac address for your tv and put it inside the routers setting and click save.
If your network/os doesn't recognize a device it will block it off with a firewall. :/ 
m
l
December 10, 2012 5:41:49 PM

maikutech said:
Pull up the mac address for your tv and put it inside the routers setting and click save.
If your network/os doesn't recognize a device it will block it off with a firewall. :/ 

hi, sorry for such a dumb question but how do i do that and it has connected to internet for few times and i was able to surf then so wont firewall block it all the time
m
l
Related resources
May 10, 2013 9:03:47 AM

Sorry about the late bump up but I just realized no one else replied to your thread.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-5316705.html

This should do perfectly, if you have solved your problem please let me know but use this as a future reference in case it goes out again. :) 
m
l
August 12, 2013 8:27:22 PM

I've had this problem for quite some time and called the Samsung people out a number of times. Everyone kept saying that their is something wrong with the firmware, but none of their updates would solve the problem. Just as a last resort we tried changing the cable that connects the T.V. to the router. Lo and behold the thing works great now.

m
l
August 13, 2013 3:23:07 AM

Good to hear man, best of luck on your tv. :) 
m
l
September 18, 2013 2:41:18 AM

13022009sy said:
hi, i have recently purchased samsung smart tv 8 series, but when i try connecting it to internet by lan/ wan it says connected to router but not able to connect to internet contact your isp. though sometimes it connects and then goes to the previous status in short time. i am using leoxsys 54 g-dl 54madsl2+router and i have bsnl ul750 plan. both samsung and bsnl tell its not problem on their side. i am able to access internet on other devices through the same. i have tried using alternate dns server.
sy

I am facing same problem with Samsung UA50F6800, I am sometimes able to connect sometime doesn't.

Please help/suggest.
m
l
November 4, 2013 6:04:12 PM

maikutech said:

I am having same issue as well with my new UN55F6300 Smart TV. Wireless connects to my router but not to the internet. Here is what I've noticed in my router log. I am seeing two MAC addresses when my Smart TV connects. The one that the TV shows on display seems to connect to the router and gets an ip but does not connect to the internet. The second MAC address shows up in router at the same time and gets rejected because of security. My suspicion is that the second mac address is also from the tv. Can someone comment on this? I'm thinking tv has two Mac address one for wired one for wireless.
m
l
November 20, 2013 8:26:30 PM

Never heard of a tv having 2 mac addresses, most companys I know assign one to each device.
What you could do is look at your internet settings for the tv and see what needs to be configured to allow it access.
Check and see if your router has mac address filtering enabled, if not turn it on so you can see directly what is connected.
Make sure you put the tvs mac address in the router and save it as well.
If you have router security, make sure you give the tv any credentials it needs to login to your router and connect to the internet.
m
l
January 21, 2014 2:52:34 PM

i bought samsung smart tv today (ue32f6200) and was setting up smart hub. so i connected it to the internet, it successfully connected and then would pop up an error saying my internet connection was not stable. I tried wi-fi several times, then i connect to the router with a wire - did not help. I tethered internet from my and my friend's smartphones - same error.
i phoned up my internet provider they said they are doing maintenance that affecting samsung smart tv's, however phone internet is from different providers so not sure why still got error message
m
l
January 21, 2014 3:11:14 PM

Is your provider virgin media by any chance? I've also not been able to connect all evening!
m
l
January 21, 2014 5:01:53 PM

I began having trouble this evening as well. I have Cox.. It started out as an issue with Hulu plus not connecting (clock error) which led me to a hulu site that said I should reset my smart hub. Now I can't get Smart Hub to connect because "the network is not stable". I reset my modem and router, even unplugged the TV. Any body else having these symptoms or have a solution for this?
m
l
January 21, 2014 5:13:27 PM

wiredweela said:
I began having trouble this evening as well. I have Cox.. It started out as an issue with Hulu plus not connecting (clock error) which led me to a hulu site that said I should reset my smart hub. Now I can't get Smart Hub to connect because "the network is not stable". I reset my modem and router, even unplugged the TV. Any body else having these symptoms or have a solution for this?

We are also having the same issue. It just started today but any app we try just says "Connecting..." Maybe their system is down?

m
l
January 21, 2014 5:22:01 PM

I just talked to a rep at Samsung. They are aware of the issue with SmartHub, and have a "team of technicians" working on it. They said to try again in a few hours. I hope this helps!
m
l
January 21, 2014 6:33:58 PM

wiredweela said:

I am having exact same issue with my Smart TV. It started around 5 pm. Connection to Hulu Plus failed. I reset the Smart Hub and now I can't connect to the internet. Very frustrating!
m
l
February 9, 2014 11:14:14 AM

wiredweela said:
I just talked to a rep at Samsung. They are aware of the issue with SmartHub, and have a "team of technicians" working on it. They said to try again in a few hours. I hope this helps!

Does this mean that sometimes when it says Cannot connect to Internet, it really means that it cannot connect to the Samsung Web sites (i.e. SmartHub)? My TV says it passes all tests, including a ping test, but still cannot connect to the Internet, even though all of my other devices can. (And I would assume that a ping test is testing somewhere on the Internet.)
m
l
March 2, 2014 10:47:16 AM

I just created an Ethernet crossover cable and the tv is now recognizing the LAN network. I think this will help.
m
l
March 16, 2014 9:24:49 AM

maikutech said:
Sorry about the late bump up but I just realized no one else replied to your thread.
http://forums.cnet.com/7726-13973_102-5316705.html

This should do perfectly, if you have solved your problem please let me know but use this as a future reference in case it goes out again. :) 

Hi Maikutech
Thanks for your suggestion. As you can, in 2014, there are still people with the same problem. I tried everything I could: reseting router, turning it on and off, tried to connect via the WPS button, etc. Tried to acquire IP, subnet mask, DNS, etc manually. Nothing helped. I decided to follow your suggestion of reseting the tv settings, and it actually worked. The funny part is that during the resetting process, it tried to guide me through the wireless connection, and at that time it did not work. After I finished all the remaining process of resetting it, connecting to my cable company, the internet connected automatically. Let's see for how long it will hold it this time.
m
l
March 23, 2014 11:35:04 AM

13022009sy said:
sy

Samsung tech support had me change my DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and it was set to 192.168.1.1 (my router). Their solution worked. My prior setting was working just fine so I do not know what changed. However changing it to the Google DNS server worked.

m
l
April 2, 2014 8:47:13 PM

coffey67 said:
13022009sy said:
sy

Samsung tech support had me change my DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and it was set to 192.168.1.1 (my router). Their solution worked. My prior setting was working just fine so I do not know what changed. However changing it to the Google DNS server worked.

I just had the same problem. Was working this morning and all other devices connected to internet just fine. Tried wireless and wired (my default). Connected to router but not internet. Using 8.8.8.8 for DNS solved the problem, for now.
thanks.
m
l
April 5, 2014 11:26:53 AM

muddybike said:
coffey67 said:
13022009sy said:
sy

I just had the same problem. Was working this morning and all other devices connected to internet just fine. Tried wireless and wired (my default). Connected to router but not internet. Using 8.8.8.8 for DNS solved the problem, for now.
thanks.

had the same issue. changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 worked for me as well.
m
l
April 6, 2014 6:02:17 PM

veren1001 said:
muddybike said:
coffey67 said:
13022009sy said:
sy

thanks.

had the same issue. changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 worked for me as well.

How do you change the DNS to 8.8.8.8? My TV is doing the same thing! Not tech savvy please help! Samsung wants to charge me over 200 bucks just to come to my house!
m
l
April 20, 2014 4:04:10 AM

I've got the same problem with my Samsung's F5100 Plasma.
It said, that it was connected to the local network, but was not connected to the Internet, and the Smart Hub didn't work either.
I have re-setted the Smart Hub, and also tried a couple of usual solutions - mostly disconnections of the cables' box and the router - with no help. A call to the ISP service didn't help either (the guy said, that the DNS settings must be AUTOMATIC).
And, suddenly, to my great joy, it started working: the TV connected to the Net, I've connected to my Samsung's account, but the Smart Hub "Deleted all obsolete apps", and it, actually, did.
Have NO IDEA what has gone wrong - that is the main problem...
Any suggestions?
m
l
April 20, 2014 8:33:10 AM

Same problem here. When entered the HUB all apps was deleted. I restore my tv and want to set up samsung hub from start when get an error you connection is not stable (0).

Hope it's a samsung error and they gonna fix it soon.

David Katz said:
I've got the same problem with my Samsung's F5100 Plasma.
It said, that it was connected to the local network, but was not connected to the Internet, and the Smart Hub didn't work either.
I have re-setted the Smart Hub, and also tried a couple of usual solutions - mostly disconnections of the cables' box and the router - with no help. A call to the ISP service didn't help either (the guy said, that the DNS settings must be AUTOMATIC).
And, suddenly, to my great joy, it started working: the TV connected to the Net, I've connected to my Samsung's account, but the Smart Hub "Deleted all obsolete apps", and it, actually, did.
Have NO IDEA what has gone wrong - that is the main problem...
Any suggestions?

m
l
April 20, 2014 10:44:36 AM

13022009sy said:
maikutech said:

hi, sorry for such a dumb question but how do i do that and it has connected to internet for few times and i was able to surf then so wont firewall block it all the time

m
l
April 20, 2014 10:50:00 AM

Same issue here but i dont think is something we can do anything. My opinion the problem is on samsung online System. I think the tv pings the samsung site to check if connection is availabile and if the site is down... The tv believes the connection is down... Just wait they restore the online systems...
m
l
April 20, 2014 11:19:14 AM

Filippo Campanini said:
Same issue here but i dont think is something we can do anything. My opinion the problem is on samsung online System. I think the tv pings the samsung site to check if connection is availabile and if the site is down... The tv believes the connection is down... Just wait they restore the online systems...

Same problem here, no i-player, lovefilm down, but muzu tv working so internet thru to tv , must be Samsungs site?
m
l
April 20, 2014 11:21:46 AM

Four posts just today about this problem, it can only be online, mines been on and off a couple of times today, off mostly and still off.
m
l
April 20, 2014 2:47:25 PM

I have had my d8000 samsung led tv connected to the Internet for 2 years and never had a single problem. Now it says it can't connect due to network interference, but every other device I have works fine. I have tried all the solutions here but no luck... Hopefully it is an issue with samsung website considering so many people have suddenly had the same problem???
m
l
April 21, 2014 6:41:29 AM

I had similar Samsung wifi hell with a new UE32F6200

Everything else wifi works fine, so why should the Samsung behave like a crap budget wifi dongle from five years ago..........

Anyway, since the Tv doesn't show strength of signal its getting, I checked with a site monitor utility on my laptop. At first glance it seems alot of surrounding wifi networks are on Ch11. So maybe its signal strength issue.

As a test, I dusted off the old faithful WRT54 and plugged that into the wireless modem (have to ring tech support to change ch on that). Set WRT54 to Ch5, signal strength alot better. Tried the Tv wifi connection and it worked.

On the tech specs for the Tv it doesn't say what wifi protocols it supports, something I'll have to find out... manual say it supports a/b/g/n and recommends n.

Probably better to have it on an N or better connection

Also, tried an N router and it connected straight away, no problem.
m
l
May 2, 2014 9:37:25 PM

I too have a smart tv by samsung. It hasn't been able to connect for a few days. Says connected but no web access. I tried changing my connection name and password and even tried changing the DNS server as previously stated with no luck. I know it's the tv because other devices connect fine
m
l
May 17, 2014 1:18:38 PM

Lonerwolff said:
I too have a smart tv by samsung. It hasn't been able to connect for a few days. Says connected but no web access. I tried changing my connection name and password and even tried changing the DNS server as previously stated with no luck. I know it's the tv because other devices connect fine

facing the same problem my tv worked fine for two years now but recently network can not connect to the internet as well other samsung media players

changed DNS, reset, everything but still no luck
m
l
May 18, 2014 3:10:56 AM

First post but I hope this helps someone. Have had the Samsung F6740 for 5 months with no issues whatsoever and for the last week have been having the problem of connection to network but not the internet. For some reason the wireless signal must have become weaker as today a move of the router to a telephone extension (you don't need to use the main telephone socket for your router) closer to the location of the TV has sorted has the problem.
m
l
May 22, 2014 9:00:06 AM

nothappywithsmarttv said:
wiredweela said:

I am having exact same issue with my Smart TV. It started around 5 pm. Connection to Hulu Plus failed. I reset the Smart Hub and now I can't connect to the internet. Very frustrating!

m
l
May 22, 2014 9:02:53 AM

I was able to go to the settings on the Samsung TV and rather than letting the DNS name be found I changed the setting to enter manually. I then changed the DNS name to 8.8.8.8 and the TV connected to the internet right away.
m
l
May 26, 2014 10:16:58 AM

Art Jumper said:
I was able to go to the settings on the Samsung TV and rather than letting the DNS name be found I changed the setting to enter manually. I then changed the DNS name to 8.8.8.8 and the TV connected to the internet right away.

Same problem just occurred today- same solution - used google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 on the TV's DNS settings leaving it to the router. Not sure why it works as every other computer in the house still works with original settings.
m
l
May 26, 2014 11:09:42 AM

I wish Samsung would sort this out. Clearly a lot of people are having problems - including myself!

The solution that seems to have worked for me (so far) is changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 in the Network menu. Maybe that works for other people. Good luck!
m
l
May 26, 2014 1:06:46 PM

plusnetwirelessuser said:
I wish Samsung would sort this out. Clearly a lot of people are having problems - including myself!

The solution that seems to have worked for me (so far) is changing the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 in the Network menu. Maybe that works for other people. Good luck!

m
l
May 26, 2014 1:09:23 PM

Same here. Problem solved with 8.8.8.8. Tnx for the "solution".
m
l
May 26, 2014 1:19:14 PM

Ditto - after messing with the settings for an hour I found this site - set dns to 8.8.8.8 - conspiracy by google? tv worked fine with other settings for 6 months.
m
l
May 26, 2014 2:23:40 PM

Plusnet are having problems with DNS at present apparently - so this may be the reason.
m
l
May 26, 2014 2:43:39 PM

Plusnet are having problems with DNS at present apparently - so this may be the reason.
m
l
June 4, 2014 10:48:21 PM

timcropley said:

Hi. I have had the same problem. I have changed the dns from 8.8.8.8 to 8.8.4.4 and no think worked. What you can do is log in to your router (if you don't know how contact you isp). When you are logged in, change your security settings to wpa2 tisk. This connected right away to the Internet for me. I hope this helps.
m
l
June 6, 2014 8:47:53 AM

The 8.8.8.8 trick worked for me.....my router is showing no errors. Bizarre but functional solution
m
l
June 12, 2014 10:28:22 AM

I have 3 dfferent Samsung smart TV's. Ones at our home with Comcast/Infinity wireless modem. Two are on our boat with a different service. We have plenty of signal at both locations. The one at home occasionally will hook up to the internet but usually not, and if it does, it gets booted off every 2-5 minutes. The two on the boat will not connect at all, however, we have a Panasonic smart DVD player that has no problem at all. After reading every issue and attempt to fix, and after having Comcast come over to fix, I have finally come up with the "connected to the network, but not the internet issue". Don't buy Samsung.
m
l
June 17, 2014 9:14:35 AM

If anyone requires assistance with this issue:

1. Please turn off your Samsung Smart TV

2. Please go into your router settings and reserve an internal IP address for the Samsung Smart TV (Ex.: 192.168.1.101) [to allow it to maintain the same IP address on your network].

3. Next, please enable DMZ on your router using the Samsung Smart TV's internal IP address (Ex.: 192.168.1.101) [to open all of its ports].

4. Please turn on your Samsung Smart TV

5. Now, please go to "Network Settings" and connect to the WiFi network again.

Hopefully this will help anyone in need of assistance; please feel free to post your results.

Have a wonderful day!
m
l
June 23, 2014 8:18:06 PM

13022009sy said:
sy

The problem is with the signal type and not with IP address, the TV or the internet. You should change the signal type that is compatible to your TV. Call the internet service provider or samsung and ask them how you can change the signal type.
D
m
l
July 1, 2014 12:44:40 PM

administrativeassistant said:

2. Please go into your router settings and reserve an internal IP address for the Samsung Smart TV (Ex.: 192.168.1.101) [to allow it to maintain the same IP address on your network].

3. Next, please enable DMZ on your router using the Samsung Smart TV's internal IP address (Ex.: 192.168.1.101) [to open all of its ports].

Hopefully this will help anyone in need of assistance; please feel free to post your results.

Have a wonderful day!

Hi, I can tell the above solution works.....thank you very much for this!!!!!!
m
l
July 1, 2014 12:45:58 PM

Tried sædding tv to the dmz. Doesn't help a bit. I am just about ready to return the ... Not so smart tv.

administrativeassistant said:

Have a wonderful day!

m
l
July 1, 2014 12:46:03 PM

Just had Virgin 100mb package installed today, Samsung ue32f4500 connected fine for a few hours then came up with "Connected to network but not internet" message. Tried the 8.8.8.8 DNS server . Works a treat. Ta very much. :bounce: 
m
l
!