Mixing Audio-Tracks with fixed Volume Ratio?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
November 7, 2004 10:34:41 AM

Greetings!

I am quite new to Audio-Editing on PC, so this might be an easy task
to perform, but I don't get it right:

I want to mix two Audio tracks, both stereo, in a manner, that eg.
track2 is mixed under track1 always at say 10% volume of the actual
volume of track1 at the moment. The effect would be, that in low
volume passages of track1, track2 would be lower, too and the other
way round.

Is there an easy way, and software to accomplish this task?

Thanks for answering in advance,

Greetings, Hugo
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 12:18:17 AM

"Hugo" <hugo3@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I am quite new to Audio-Editing on PC, so this might be an easy task
> to perform, but I don't get it right:
>
> I want to mix two Audio tracks, both stereo, in a manner, that eg.
> track2 is mixed under track1 always at say 10% volume of the actual
> volume of track1 at the moment. The effect would be, that in low
> volume passages of track1, track2 would be lower, too and the other
> way round.
>
> Is there an easy way, and software to accomplish this task?

What software do you have?

jb
November 8, 2004 7:38:57 AM

"reddred" <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote in message news:<0L6dnTze4uOlSxPcRVn-jA@adelphia.com>...

> What software do you have?
>
> jb

I don't have any multi-track recording software, jet. I wanted to ask,
which one would be the easiest to use and how it is done with that
particular software.

Greetings, Hugo
November 8, 2004 10:36:48 AM

"Hugo" <hugo3@freemail.hu> wrote in message
> Greetings!
>
> I am quite new to Audio-Editing on PC, so this might be an easy task
> to perform, but I don't get it right:
>
> I want to mix two Audio tracks, both stereo, in a manner, that eg.
> track2 is mixed under track1 always at say 10% volume of the actual
> volume of track1 at the moment. The effect would be, that in low
> volume passages of track1, track2 would be lower, too and the other
> way round.

> Is there an easy way, and software to accomplish this task?

One way to accomplish this, is to use volume envelopes. For example
Audition/CEP and a number of other multitrack editing software products
allow you to literally draw lines that set the gain for each track at all
points along that track.

Since the tracks don't usually have the same relative loudness at all times,
the volume envelopes you would draw to do what you want, would probably not
be parallel.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 8:59:22 AM

Hugo wrote
>I don't have any multi-track recording software, jet. I wanted to ask,
>which one would be the easiest to use and how it is done with that
>particular software.

As Arny stated, with automation it can be as easy as a mouse click and drag,
then go back and see if you did what you wanted. If not you do it again until
you get it right. All of the pro software's are like this, I have Peak LE in
which you have to high light the audio and do "change gain" in a drop down
file.
Needless to say I don't do any multi track editing or automation with that
program just overall mastering type stuff, I do tracking with DP3.
!