Questions about my internet speed in relation to online gaming.

AveryFair

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
The following is my result when I used the automatic server finder on speedtest.net.
(slower than 94% of us, I know terrible :cry: )

I live in a very rural area where this is basically the fastest option they have here. My question is will this speed be acceptable to go into PC gaming. I have a ps3 and can play most games without any hiccups; however some games such as bf3 sometimes get a little buggy. Keep in mind that is over a wireless connection in which the signal is about 50% (the PC will be wired or have an pci wireless adapter with three antennae). Note that I used other servers and got a ping as high as 26ms if that factors into it.

So will my internet connection be acceptable in running games like arma 2 or bf3 online and will it be fast enough where I can actually play games [competitively.] Any answer or insight is very much appreciated! Thanks, AveryFair :)

Solution

Should be fine then, most developers target the weakest link on networking which is probably still 768/256 kbps dsl. Dial up may even be...

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Very few games out there need any real bandwidth, mostly they need lower latency and a low[as in 0%] packet loss connection. That speed makes me feel you probably have packet loss, try to run the test at pingtest.net instead and see what happens, it may not work on your setup so if you get 100% packetloss assume your setup is just not compatible, if you get anything else. you should have 0% loss. Century link certainly has higher speeds than that available over DSL, but your distance from the dslam controls that. However I would be suspicions of your telephone wires with a rating like that. If you open the NID [shold be a grey box] and locate the test jack, you can run a long ribbon cable from that to your DSL modem if that improves your speed, your house wires need a little TLC or replacement.

AveryFair

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

I went through the test at pingtest.net and got this result:

I know the [telephone/internet] line that runs to my residence is relatively new (replaced within last 6 years).
So what does this mean exactly? Thanks again AveryFair :)

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

So your on some older DSl tech is all, no a big deal century link runs 20 Mb dsl up where i live near seattel but hten comcast is runnig D3 and FIOS is up here too, so that's probably why competition motivates you to keep up.

Your latency and packet loss are fine, you won't go hosting multi user Lan parties at your house with that bandwidth or anything but if you're the only one using the connection and you ONLY run games while you are playing you should be fine. If you have roommates trying to run netflix/torrents/downloads while you do it you may run into issues however.

AveryFair

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
No I am the only one that would be using the internet and usually only do one thing at a time; However when i do get onto my current computer to watch a video(that computer cant handle any games) while I was playing BF3 on my PS3, It freezes me into place and gives me a yellow connection triangle at the top so I am aware of that. Of course that was over wireless signal. So you can comfortably say that as long as i don't use the line while I am playing games I should be fine?
This is currently what is holding me back on my first gaming build. Thanks for the all the assuring answers, AveryFair

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Should be fine then, most developers target the weakest link on networking which is probably still 768/256 kbps dsl. Dial up may even be supportable in some games still. Wireless does reduce bandwidth just by the nature of how it works, and they all come with wireless adapters anymore so its not too bandwidth intensive other than patches.

MMORPS's may be the only place you notice some missing bandwidth and they'd have to be rather popular to cause that with a large population online while your playing I mean. In most cases, the bandwidth of the hosting system is going to be less than what you can run anyway so you are fine.

If the game host has 6Mb and there are 6 players you just reduced it to 1Mbit/sec per player, it adds up fast the more players you allow, etc.. Several servers host multiple games even on a per port set basis. You should be fine.

Solution

AveryFair

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012

Thanks I will be ordering all my parts for the build soon. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks again :sol: