MN-700

I have a USB DSL Modem an cannot connect it to the MN-
700. Can I use the MN-700 as a just router and have other
computers connect to the internet through the computer
with in which the modem is connected? One of the other
computers is a laptop with MN-720. The other computer
would be connected to the MN-700 via ethernet cable.

Thoughts?
Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    A USB modem like you have is similar to the USB setup for satellite service.
    First, if you can, I'd try trading your ISP for a regular Ethernet modem.
    If not, you can take a look at this Knowledge Base article (it says
    satellite, but you're in the same situation) where you can use the MN-700 in
    access mode with a Network Interface Card (NIC) and Internet Connection
    Sharing (ICS) on the computer:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461&Product=MSbbn
    .. This does require that your main computer (which is sharing the
    connection) be on when you need to access the Internet from one of your
    other computers.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Ron" <ronbouk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a USB DSL Modem an cannot connect it to the MN-
    > 700. Can I use the MN-700 as a just router and have other
    > computers connect to the internet through the computer
    > with in which the modem is connected? One of the other
    > computers is a laptop with MN-720. The other computer
    > would be connected to the MN-700 via ethernet cable.
    >
    > Thoughts?
    > Thanks

    Heck, if it was me, I'd even pay a small amount to switch to a regular
    Ethernet modem.

    <g>

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > A USB modem like you have is similar to the USB setup for satellite
    service.
    > First, if you can, I'd try trading your ISP for a regular Ethernet modem.
    > If not, you can take a look at this Knowledge Base article (it says
    > satellite, but you're in the same situation) where you can use the MN-700
    in
    > access mode with a Network Interface Card (NIC) and Internet Connection
    > Sharing (ICS) on the computer:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461&Product=MSbbn
    > . This does require that your main computer (which is sharing the
    > connection) be on when you need to access the Internet from one of your
    > other computers.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "Ron" <ronbouk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >I have a USB DSL Modem an cannot connect it to the MN-
    > > 700. Can I use the MN-700 as a just router and have other
    > > computers connect to the internet through the computer
    > > with in which the modem is connected? One of the other
    > > computers is a laptop with MN-720. The other computer
    > > would be connected to the MN-700 via ethernet cable.
    > >
    > > Thoughts?
    > > Thanks

Routers Networking