MN-700

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 9, 2004 12:46:28 PM

I have a USB DSL Modem an cannot connect it to the MN-
700. Can I use the MN-700 as a just router and have other
computers connect to the internet through the computer
with in which the modem is connected? One of the other
computers is a laptop with MN-720. The other computer
would be connected to the MN-700 via ethernet cable.

Thoughts?
Thanks

More about : 700

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 1:13:26 PM

A USB modem like you have is similar to the USB setup for satellite service.
First, if you can, I'd try trading your ISP for a regular Ethernet modem.
If not, you can take a look at this Knowledge Base article (it says
satellite, but you're in the same situation) where you can use the MN-700 in
access mode with a Network Interface Card (NIC) and Internet Connection
Sharing (ICS) on the computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817461&Product=MSbbn
.. This does require that your main computer (which is sharing the
connection) be on when you need to access the Internet from one of your
other computers.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"Ron" <ronbouk@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a USB DSL Modem an cannot connect it to the MN-
> 700. Can I use the MN-700 as a just router and have other
> computers connect to the internet through the computer
> with in which the modem is connected? One of the other
> computers is a laptop with MN-720. The other computer
> would be connected to the MN-700 via ethernet cable.
>
> Thoughts?
> Thanks
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 8:16:08 PM

Heck, if it was me, I'd even pay a small amount to switch to a regular
Ethernet modem.

<g>

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP