MOTU 828mkII best 2004 Digital Converter Technology?

Last response: in Home Audio
November 8, 2004 5:57:35 AM

How can this product win the TEC Award in this category when there's
hardly a word about the maker or quality of the converters? The MOTU
is all about features for price. It's essentially a consumer
all-in-one project studio item. Most of the nominees are dedicated
converters. The Prism costs US$11k. It's the best a/d converter in
existence!

Apogee Rosetta 800
Dolby DP563 with Pro Logic II
Metric Halo ULN-2 +DSP
MOTU 828mkII FireWire audio interface
Prism ADA-8 with DSD Interface
Universal Audio 2192 Master Audio Interface
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 9:40:28 AM

Awards in general hardly go to "the best" in a particular category.
Grammys, Emmys, Academy Awards, etc.....
Popularity, politics, marketing, etc.....all go into the decision just
as much as the actual "best" choice.
For the most part, all awards are nothing more than marketing fodder.
later,
November 8, 2004 12:55:01 PM

In article <de2778.0411080640.18d56c56@posting.google.com>,
chetatkinsdiet <mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Awards in general hardly go to "the best" in a particular category.
>Grammys, Emmys, Academy Awards, etc.....
>Popularity, politics, marketing, etc.....all go into the decision just
>as much as the actual "best" choice.
>For the most part, all awards are nothing more than marketing fodder.

It is very, very amusing to look at who the award winners are over the
years. It's even more amusing to look at the ballots and see who is
nominated and compare that with the winner. Sometimes it's quite
hilarious.

I'd give Grimm Audio the award for best 2004 digital converter technology
if I were doing the awards. Which I might be in another magazine next
month. Stay tuned.
--scott
November 8, 2004 2:31:39 PM

In article <2bd18a8f.0411080257.3307c6b8@posting.google.com> bayareamusician@hotmail.com writes:

> How can this product win the TEC Award in this category when there's
> hardly a word about the maker or quality of the converters? The MOTU
> is all about features for price. It's essentially a consumer
> all-in-one project studio item.

This is what the TEC awards are about - what's good for the common man
as well as what's good for the uncommon man.