Installing Windows 7 on a new build - partition problems

I am nobody

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I finished building a new computer today and everything was working fine, but when I select the custom/new installation of Windows 7, it brings me to a screen that claims Disk 0 Partition 1 is 2048 GB and OEM reserved. I've never done this before, so it's entirely possible that I'm missing something obvious, but given that the hard drive is only 1.5 TB it seems like something has to be wrong here. Is there a way for me to either safely delete that entire partition or to partition it into something I could actually install to?

Specs:
Gigabyte GA-880GM-D2H
Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
I do not recommend computer building to just a nobody.... Hello Murphy :)
The many things that can go wrong will go wrong and confusle you in a million ways. However, first thing I do with a new PC is familiarize myself with the BIOS, what is SAFE and what is good to run in what setting. Once that is resolved, I proceed with installation of software. What does the post show the size of the drive to be ? What does it say on the label on the physical drive for size ?

I am nobody

Honorable
May 18, 2012

The drive label says 1.5 TB and BIOS lists it as having 1.5 TB.

One thing that might be worth mentioning is that I did misunderstand the motherboard instructions and put the disk for that in before the windows disk. That ran a program that gave me the options of backup or restart, and since the instructions said to pick backup at that screen, I did. Could attempting to backup an empty hard drive have somehow made it create a partition larger than the total memory?

Is it worth trying to just delete the partition (the only one currently displaying) and install to a new one?

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
It could mess up the boot records and report wrong sizes. You will definitely wipe that out, no questions, just run the windows install disk, insert the drivers on F6 prompt and it will show you the drive. Delete ALL partitions one by one, then Create a new one, format (not quick) and install. Hope all goes well this time.