WIndows Media Player went crazy!

stoneliberated

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ok, I just built a new computer with windows 7, about a day after i finished the build i was searching on web and my windows media player began opening by itself, i would close it and it would reopen. So i removed it from my computer completely....that fixed the prob for a day i guess. Then my iTunes started doing it as well...this problem is becoming annoying and i was wondering if anyone haas seen this happen before or if theres a fix for it. It almost seems like a virus of some sort...but my virus scans turn up nothing. If anyoone can help it would be greatly appreciated

welshmousepk

Distinguished
does your keyboard have any media keys? a stuck key could cause the default media Player to open itself.

it won't be a virus, as they are much more malicious. but there are a few other things that could cause it.

if you dont have media keys, make sure you don't have a cd/dvd in your disk drive (autorun may be playing up)

failing that, it could be malware or spyware, though that still seems unlikely. run a scan for those just in case.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
ah yes. the razer lycosa not only has media keys, but those damn annoying faux-touch buttons that very often play up.

i would imagine a piece of dirt or plastic has gotten stuck (possible even under the touch pad) thats causing it to keep trying to open your media player.

disconnect the keyboard, and if the problem stops. you've found it. you may want to get a replacement form the store you bought it at, since its new.

msutton2

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
This is issue actually is quite common. My mom just started having it. Now she cannot do anything on the computer at all. She's run scans but its not only WMP, but also the cursor too. When she gets ready to login sometimes it will start putting in random things she did not type..and etc. I have yet find an actual fix anywhere. I hear shouts about viruses, drivers, conflict with WMP 11 and the network sharing....but no one yet to have fixed it without having a less severe issue and whom just disabled WMP, which in our case would not work since it is affecting other programs as well. Please help! She is NOT a happy camper when her puter is haywire. Thanks!

That is a known issue with the Lycosa.
I already replaced mine via RMA due to same problems.
Test it out those top keys are very sensitive.
However if it's doing it without even touching the media keys (like mine did) get it replaced.