TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
Should I get the AOpen DVD-1648 or Asus DVD-E616? AOpen offers no region code protection while Asus can be "refresh" the region code protection by a simple "booting" trick. I have many different region code DVDs and often swapping. And I've heard that new shipment of DVDs will not allowed to be read by a multi-region or region-free drive, is this the true? Are there any better solution for this?
Any comment is appreciated.

Plug & Play? How about Plug & Pray!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's a clonecd (Elby) program that will override the region setting. It simply does not pop up.

I dunno it it blocks the code, changes it on the fly, or disables the Powerdvd region check upon playing.

All I know is it worked the one time I tried it.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. Seach on the web for region free patches. They are pleantiful and useful.

Judging by a quick look ive had of the two drives, the asus seems slightly better, a bigger buffer and ata100 interface (even though that is pretty useless)

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
and you dont need a bios patch, apparently by pressing the 2 buttons on the front of the drive while powering up, you reset the region change counter so you get 5 changes again...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)