Connecting a network to a wifi hotspot

DuncanC

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Seems like a simple problem, but I can't find an answer. I have a local network that I want to connect to a WiFi site. The site is a free service offered to our community by a local ISP. The network uses a wireless router but cable links the two relatively old PCs. They are used for a single inventory-accounting program. One serves as the softwre host. The organization wants episodic Internet access so they can use a software update auto installation service. There are alternative ways to accomplish these updates, but this pathway is the only one acceptable to the organization. Why they reject a simple thumb drive using an out of system download is beyond me, but it seems to be a locked in idea. :pt1cable: Oh, the current wireless router cannot accept DD-WRT, but one is available if it can be used if useable.

Thanks for any assistance.

Best regards,

Duncan

You need a wireless router than can be run in client mode or bridge mode depends what the vendor calls it. You just plug it into your existing router. If you use the wan port or the lan port of your existing router will depend how you want to solve the IP addressing problem. Also depends what you are using the current wan port for already. It is going to be a trade off between changing the IPs and dealing with NAT port forwarding in some cases.

DuncanC

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks Bill,

Can I use a wireless router with wired network ports in client mode using DD-WRT, and simply eliminate the current wireless router with network ports that isn't compatible with DD-WRT? Modding a router I already have would be cheaper than buying new hardware. I presume there would be no WAN or LAN port issue then since both computers are connected via the router ports. The old KISS approach works best for me. :bounce: It is too easy here to add smilies!

Duncan