deskstar 120 gxp

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
has anyone had any problems with the new ibm deskstar 120gxp's I have a 60gxp which keeps fukin up and I need a new one.

Dungeons and Dragons Famous Last Words:
"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
HI !
I got two 120GXP 120 GB about ten months ago. At that time I promised to give you news if the drives should have any problems. They are still running perfectly, noiseless and fast.
So, no news good news.
These hdds seem to be quite better than the already good 60GXP and probably a lot more reliable.
I have only one note to evidence. As usual for IBM hdd there are some rimapped areas on the surface. This is quite evident when you run a transfer rate benchmark which show you a lot of hole and peaks. This doesn't create problems as the performances of the drive are really good, but still remains a particular which is not normally present, i.e., in a Maxtor which has a lower transfer rate and is not so fast as the IBM drive, but has a quite flat transfer rate plot.

p.s. I run the system 24/7 (the computer is always on) and the IBM drives build a RAID 0 array.

the last is in the past<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by unoc on 11/17/02 03:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Dont see many 120/180GXP users... probably becauze people got scared off them.

My 60gxp went the way of the dodo too.
I got a 800JB replacment. Very nice.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
Thanx for the info, I think they will be my next purchase at least if I can find a replacement bios for this damned video card. I may have to get a new one, I love my gf3 tho, I got my 60gxp running again though I dont trust it, it is faster than [-peep-] though I am gonna stick with IBM, stability is not nearly as important as SPEED!

"C'mon DM,let's see some REAL monsters!" And then you turn the corner as the Dungeon Master chuckles... DM: "It hits and... Oh hold on... I need more dice"

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
They were scared for good reason too! I actualy enjoy erasing everything and starting from scratch, it gives me some challenge which is why I took up this hobby anyways. it is so...boring recently, I havent had a good challenge in quite some time and I needed one. I will go the fast and dangerous route and get me another IBM drive. it is stupid yes, idiotic yes...well I dont realy know where I am going with this but I am going to pull a robert frost and take th road less traveled by.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
As the cost of a writtable CD-rom is really low, I constantly maintain an updated set of data on CD-rom's.
Job related files, driver files, photos, mail and more have their own CD-rom set. I also realised a drive-image in order to have in a very small time all my hdd working again.
I am waiting for the 180 GXP as the next my hdd drives to build a RAID 0 array (180 GB with 8MB of RAM), putting the two 120GXP in the IDE channel, now dedicated to CD-Rom and CD-Burner (both as master). I also have (in the same computer !!) two Maxtor D740X driven by a very nice Ultra ATA controller from CMD which was able to work perfectly together the Promise TX2 100 which doesn't suffer the presence of Ultra ATA controller from Promise because it seems the system assign the same interrupt.
Actually I used all the PCI slots
All work very fine on an ASUS A7V333 (but the USB 2.0)
I understand this is a joke because everything is bigger and faster than I really need, but this is an interesting and not very dangerous experience.

the last is in the past

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My GXP120 works very well...

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)

dhlucke

Polypheme
Nearly every person on this forum has lost either an IBM 75gxp or a 60gxp. Why bother with IBM again? If you are interested in speed, there are others that keep up or surpass IBM.

Go for a Western Digital or Maxtor drive.

The reason you're not hearing anything about these drives is because nobody wants to buy them. There's good reason for that.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?dhlucke" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
for the adventure! That is why.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
If you want datarecovery experience, why dont you just turn off your computer during a partition resize/move etc. and then attemt to recover the files?
Quite interesting actually. I have tried a couple of times to test various data recovery tools.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
:lol: You should try it. Its nice to know your recovery tools so you have some experience with them if something really goes wrong.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>