JHoxley

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
hi,

I recently sold my trusty Zip650 4x external drive... and bought myself a nice new AOpen CRW4850 48x writer - kinda got bored of waiting for my cd's to burn!

Anyway, it's not really working properly... yet I cant really see why, and more importantly what to do about it. I've burnt 3 CD's with it now - in all 3 cases it worked fine, yet it's also chewed up 5 other CD's and generally complained a lot.

I've got a Toshiba DVD-ROM in my computer as well, so I've been juggling which is master and slave, neither seems to make much difference. I'm using Ahead Nero 5.5 for burning - as it came with the hw, and EzCD5 wont recognise the drive.

All the errors either revolve around not being able to finalize the disk, or general write errors: "Mechanism Control Task Error", "Could not perform Fixation" (from Nero)... The other annoying thing is that Nero complains that there isn't enough space on the CD - when I'm writing a 680mb movie to a 700mb disk??

Does anyone here have any clever ideas how I can get the drive working? or is it possibly a faulty unit?

cheers!

Jack

JHoxley

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
thanks for that suggestion... seems to have worked a treat :)

I did look at firmware before, but none of the files from AOpen's page would download (kept getting 404 errors etc...), but they seem to have worked now

cheers
Jack

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Good to see you found a fix. Those errors didnt sound too good.

As with burning oversized CD's, go into nero setting and click the box "enable overburning"
Then you can do disks properly beyond the normal 650Mb.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>