Jedisiu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
I have a question to all who knows a lot about Sound Card. My friend is building a system which he will use to record music semi-professionally. He does not play much games. What sound card should he? Should he get Audigy 2 or something else? I am kind of bias towards SB due to my never ending problems with SB Live.

TKH

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
If your friend doesn't play games much and want to have a professional audio quality he should not even look at Creative. Visit here: www.digit-life.com/sound.html for some review on professional sound card.

Plug & Play? How about Plug & Pray!

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Definately stay away from Creative. If he's still looking at an all around solution, go with a TerraTec card. The audio is better suited for that. Other than that, he can use the sound built into the mobo for everyday use and get a good audio card for the music. In that case, check out solutions from M-Audio, Event, and Mark of the Unicorn. I do the same thing, and since I needed components that traveled, I'm using the MOTU MicroExpress for MIDI (4in, 6out) and the MOTU 828 for audio (8 in/out rackmount, connects via Firewire). This way I can use it on my main workstation for recording and mastering, and then plug in to a rackmounted pc (which is yet to be built) or a laptop for live sound reenforcement. Have him check out reviews in some of the recording mags like Electronic Musician and Mix as well.

Jarrett

miltonic

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2002
Hi jheine, I'm in the same predicament. I've given up on the vanilla brand sound cards like Creative makes, and I'm looking for a souncard that records music much better. I'm looking for an affordable, yet high quality sound card for composing and recording music from my MIDI keyboard. How do you like the soundcards you use? Have you used or seen the Terratec brand of cards? Your professional opinion would mean a lot to me. Thanks for reading this.

Jedisiu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have my friend look into the TerraTac card, since he was going to get the Audigy 2 platium version with all the connectors.