Low capacity memory sticks (where to buy)

May 27, 2004 4:07:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any place that sells low
capacity memory sticks? (new/used)

I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never use
anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell old
mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 27, 2004 8:52:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Have you tried Ebay??
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 27, 2004 9:54:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:07:37 +0100, "F" <notgiven@duetospam.com>
wrote:

>Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any place that sells low
>capacity memory sticks? (new/used)
>
>I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never use
>anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
>more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell old
>mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)

I found a 32 MB one here for $27.95:

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/bsansonmemst.html

And for $26.00, with free shipping:

http://www.computergiants.com/items/one_item.asp?part=7...
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

wrote:

>I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never use
>anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
>more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell old
>mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)

I know that this is much larger than you are asking about but it seems
to be a good deal. You might try the vendor for other sizes. This
came from dealnews a couple of days ago:

Lexar 128MB Memory Stick for $33 shipped

Surplus Computers offers the translucent Lexar 128MB Memory
Stick for $32.99 with free shipping. It's the lowest total
price we've seen for a card of its size, excluding rebates.

Click here for updates or to snap up this deal now:
<http://dealnews.com/articles/66553.html?ref=alert&gt;
--
E-mail: kevjay@attglobal.net
May 28, 2004 12:16:10 AM

Kevin <kjfkjf@frontiernet.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 12:07:37 +0100, "F" <notgiven@duetospam.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never use
> >anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
> >more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell old
> >mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)
> >
> I know that this is much larger than you are asking about but it seems
> to be a good deal. You might try the vendor for other sizes. This
> came from dealnews a couple of days ago:
>
> Lexar 128MB Memory Stick for $33 shipped
>
> Surplus Computers offers the translucent Lexar 128MB Memory
> Stick for $32.99 with free shipping. It's the lowest total
> price we've seen for a card of its size, excluding rebates.
>
> Click here for updates or to snap up this deal now:
> <http://dealnews.com/articles/66553.html?ref=alert&gt;

Thanks for posting this. I suspect that it's the kind of information
that leads to the OP's question; after all, "if 128MB memory sticks are
available for $33 shipped, maybe I can get an old 32 megger for $10."
But I never see those old 32 meg memory sticks for prices that are much
better. I haven't purchased one yet, but I think I'm coming to the
conclusion that I might as well get the 128MB, even if I'll never use
that much memory.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 28, 2004 12:16:11 AM

Preacher wrote:

> Thanks for posting this. I suspect that it's the kind of information
> that leads to the OP's question; after all, "if 128MB memory sticks are
> available for $33 shipped, maybe I can get an old 32 megger for $10."
> But I never see those old 32 meg memory sticks for prices that are much
> better. I haven't purchased one yet, but I think I'm coming to the
> conclusion that I might as well get the 128MB, even if I'll never use
> that much memory.

You can never have enough memory! Think of some options. With a $20 USB
card reader, it becomes a jump drive. I don't know if you realize it or
not, having not had any experience with them, but you can put *any* type
of files on these cards. If it's not a .prc or .pdb, the palm will
simply ignore it.

I keep one or two zip files on my SD card, as well as some native
..pdf's. Carry the card reader along with you, and it's always
accessible.

--
Mitch
Killer swans drown two dogs, PETA spokesman left speechless.

"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message

> I found a 32 MB one here for $27.95:
>
> http://www.flash-memory-store.com/bsansonmemst.html
>
> And for $26.00, with free shipping:

http://www.computergiants.com/items/one_item.asp?part=7...
> --
> Mike Koenecke
> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

I just ordered a 64MB MS from Amazon.com for $28.50 with free shipping. I
also didn't need 64MB for what I'll be using it for, but it seemed silly to
pay nearly the same price for half the memory.

Mark
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 28, 2004 1:40:02 AM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:51:02 -0500, Mitchell Swan
<Mitchell_C_Swan@raytheon.com> wrote:

>Preacher wrote:
>>

>> Thanks for posting this. I suspect that it's the kind of information
>> that leads to the OP's question; after all, "if 128MB memory sticks are
>> available for $33 shipped, maybe I can get an old 32 megger for $10."
>> But I never see those old 32 meg memory sticks for prices that are much
>> better. I haven't purchased one yet, but I think I'm coming to the
>> conclusion that I might as well get the 128MB, even if I'll never use
>> that much memory.
>
>You can never have enough memory! Think of some options. With a $20 USB
>card reader, it becomes a jump drive. I don't know if you realize it or
>not, having not had any experience with them, but you can put *any* type
>of files on these cards. If it's not a .prc or .pdb, the palm will
>simply ignore it.
>
>I keep one or two zip files on my SD card, as well as some native
>.pdf's. Carry the card reader along with you, and it's always
>accessible.

$20, heck. I bought a multi-card reader at Fry's yesterday for $7.99.
(USB 1.1 - but my computer only supports that speed anyway.)
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 28, 2004 6:39:53 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:17:12 -0400, "Mark B."
<mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I found a 32 MB one here for $27.95:
>>
>> http://www.flash-memory-store.com/bsansonmemst.html
>>
>> And for $26.00, with free shipping:
>>

>http://www.computergiants.com/items/one_item.asp?part=7...
>> --
>> Mike Koenecke
>> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
>

>I just ordered a 64MB MS from Amazon.com for $28.50 with free shipping. I
>also didn't need 64MB for what I'll be using it for, but it seemed silly to
>pay nearly the same price for half the memory.
>
>Mark

Certainly. If it were me, I'd have gone for the 128MB, which can be
had for around $32.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 28, 2004 8:24:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I've got 2 sticks, a 4 & 8M, that I could let go of. Please drop me a
line...

Seymore...
Owner of a F717 & S85+... and luvin' it!
remove "REMOVE" to reply

"F" <notgiven@duetospam.com> wrote in message
news:D notc.49637$tb4.1721658@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any place that sells
low
> capacity memory sticks? (new/used)
>
> I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never
use
> anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
> more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell
old
> mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)

Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 28, 2004 9:12:42 AM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:40:02 GMT, Mike Koenecke
<mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 May 2004 15:51:02 -0500, Mitchell Swan
><Mitchell_C_Swan@raytheon.com> wrote:
>

>$20, heck. I bought a multi-card reader at Fry's yesterday for $7.99.
>(USB 1.1 - but my computer only supports that speed anyway.)

If you watch dealnews you can frequently get these for just the
shipping costs after a rebate.
--
E-mail: kevjay@attglobal.net
Anonymous

> On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:17:12 -0400, "Mark B."
> <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> >I just ordered a 64MB MS from Amazon.com for $28.50 with free shipping.
> >also didn't need 64MB for what I'll be using it for, but it seemed silly
> >pay nearly the same price for half the memory.
> >
> >Mark
>
> Certainly. If it were me, I'd have gone for the 128MB, which can be
> had for around $32.
> --
> Mike Koenecke
> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

Well I guess I missed that. When I bought a 128MB stick a couple months
ago, I paid about $40.

Mark
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 28, 2004 5:36:20 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Fri, 28 May 2004 06:14:06 -0400, "Mark B."
<mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Mike Koenecke" <mkoenecke@spamhole.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:17:12 -0400, "Mark B."
>> <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>> >I just ordered a 64MB MS from Amazon.com for $28.50 with free shipping.
>> >also didn't need 64MB for what I'll be using it for, but it seemed silly
>> >pay nearly the same price for half the memory.
>> >
>> >Mark
>>
>> Certainly. If it were me, I'd have gone for the 128MB, which can be
>> had for around $32.
>> --
>> Mike Koenecke
>> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
>
>Well I guess I missed that. When I bought a 128MB stick a couple months
>ago, I paid about $40.

I just checked Pricewatch, searching for "Sony Memory Stick NOT
Reader". Surpluscomputers.com has a Lexar 128MB for $32 with free
shipping. I was tempted to buy one, but hope to upgrade to a TH55 and
get a larger stick.
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 29, 2004 12:31:21 AM

>> I just checked Pricewatch, searching for "Sony Memory Stick NOT
> Reader". Surpluscomputers.com has a Lexar 128MB for $32 with free
> shipping. I was tempted to buy one, but hope to upgrade to a TH55 and
> get a larger stick.
> --
> Mike Koenecke
> to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

That's exactly the reason I got the 128MB stick. I love the TH55. I held
off upgrading from a Handera until there was a color unit with a virtual
silkscreen. Teriffic unit.

Mark
June 4, 2004 1:41:32 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Why the obsession with low capacity?
If you mean *cheap*, that's another entirely valid question.

It's not as if it add pounds....excuse me, kilos to your pocket.
Nor is there any appreciable wear and tear to the larger sizes.
I'm not sure about power drain, but I suspect that it's far less
than the screen consumes.

Even if you don't store working files on the stick, still it's
great for backing up main memory as protection from the eventual
crash or fat-fingered fumble, and you can keep several
generations of backups readily available without having the pain
of a full HotSync recovery.

F wrote:
> Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any place that sells low
> capacity memory sticks? (new/used)
>
> I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never use
> anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
> more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell old
> mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)

June 4, 2004 7:07:29 PM

Russell <russell@mitre.org> wrote:

> Why the obsession with low capacity?
> If you mean *cheap*, that's another entirely valid question.
>
> It's not as if it add pounds....excuse me, kilos to your pocket.
> Nor is there any appreciable wear and tear to the larger sizes.
> I'm not sure about power drain, but I suspect that it's far less
> than the screen consumes.
>
> Even if you don't store working files on the stick, still it's
> great for backing up main memory as protection from the eventual
> crash or fat-fingered fumble, and you can keep several
> generations of backups readily available without having the pain
> of a full HotSync recovery.

Can't answer for the OP, but my own rationale for looking for a
low-capacity stick was hoping that it would be VERY cheap. IOW, if a
128MB stick can be had for $32, maybe someone would give up an old 16MB
stick for $5-10. And since the 16MB size would be more than enough, why
spend the extra $20+?

Unfortunately, I've never seen anything like that, which leads me to
believe that it's probably better to just get the brand new, still
warranteed 128MB stick.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 10, 2004 1:55:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"F" <notgiven@duetospam.com> wrote in message
news:D notc.49637$tb4.1721658@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any place that sells
low
> capacity memory sticks? (new/used)
>
> I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never
use
> anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
> more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell
old
> mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)

Send me your address and I'll mail you my 8mb stick free of charge - it just
takes up space in the wallet.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 10, 2004 2:01:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"F" <notgiven@duetospam.com> wrote in message
news:D notc.49637$tb4.1721658@news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of any place that sells
low
> capacity memory sticks? (new/used)
>
> I need one for my sony clie but 64+MB is a bit much since I would never
use
> anywhere close to that capacity something around 32 16 or even 8 would be
> more suitable... Anyone know of any place online or in Canada that sell
old
> mem sticks at drastically reduced costs? (used is fine as long as not DOA)

Sorry forgot to add - change the i in lycis to an o
!