logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hey, my D-link Dir655 just died so I need a new wireless router and I have $100 to spend. I need it to have 10/100/1000 ports and the wifi range doesn't need to be huge but does need to be fast. I don't have too much time to shop around so I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for this price range? Thanks!

Solution
At that price level, I would say not really. The routers that I would consider "better" are mostly dual band. Here is a good resource to compare wireless routers: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-charts/view

I'm trying to put off any major network upgrades until after 802.11ac is out long enough to make sense, but then again I still have a number of old G devices that force me to run extra wireless APs to allow my main wireless connection to remain a fast N only.

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I was considering that, but I wasn't sure if there is a better router out there.

RealBeast

Titan
At that price level, I would say not really. The routers that I would consider "better" are mostly dual band. Here is a good resource to compare wireless routers: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-charts/view

I'm trying to put off any major network upgrades until after 802.11ac is out long enough to make sense, but then again I still have a number of old G devices that force me to run extra wireless APs to allow my main wireless connection to remain a fast N only.

Solution

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Is there much of a difference with dual band?

RealBeast

Titan
There can be. If your 2.4GHz band has too much interference from other networks, baby monitors, wireless phones, speakers, headsets, etc., and you have the adapters for 5GHz, the simultaneous dual band routers can work quite well.

Otherwise, I would have to say no, not really.

I've installed some but I don't use dual band at home. I use some extra APs, mostly for the old G devices, but one at the other end of the house to improve the N coverage. The biggest improvement that I got with N was when I went N only, WPA2, with AES encryption so that I could get past 54Mbps. (The old G devices and other lesser security types slow N down to a max speed of 54Mbps.)

logox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I doubt I would need that then, my house has 3 cell phones and some neighbors networks but that's it. Thanks for the help.