I can't open word starter

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Hi all.

Me and my family brought a dell XPS 8300 for Christmas last year, complete with windows 7, not including Microsoft office. This meant that, while it didn't come with Word 7, it came with word starter, a program that performed similarly.

However, recently, this program stopped working. Attempting to run it, even as the administrator, brings up the error message "Microsoft word stater 2010 cannot be opened. Try again or repair the product in the control panel". Re-attempting to run it doesn't work, and I can't find any clear option for fixing it in the control panel.

So what is wrong with it, and how do I fix it? Much obliged for all your help.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Hi Fred, a couple of possible quick fixes:
There might be an option under 'add/remove programs' in the control panel - the repair option only comes up for certain programs, and sometimes at the uninstall selection-kinda confusing....which leads onto.....
Do you have the original disc containing Word7 ? - just incase you uninstall in error above, and as fix 2, a re-install of Word7 would also work (oftentimes it's just as quick/better to re-install (troubleshooting can take time though educational, and, reinstall depending on the program - e.g. OS as a very very last resort - though, of course, not in your context).

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I still think we have the disk somewhere, but that's a time-consuming process and something of a last resort.

So....if I went into the "add/remove programs" section, and clicked on word starter, that might give an option for "repair"? O.K., I'll try that.

jerry rooney

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012