Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

quiet but powerfull laptop for audio use?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 9:18:57 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy noise.
Now I sit next to Acer P4 3GHz Desktop prosessor laptop with nice amount
of RAM and fast HD but the noise!!! argh.! Just like sitting in airplane or
something.

Any ideas?

..jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 9:18:58 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>From: "J.A." hyeena_spam_@sci.fi
>Date: 11/9/04 11:18 PM Eastern Standard Time
>Message-id: <TEgkd.536$xd4.124@reader1.news.jippii.net>
>
>Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy noise.
>Now I sit next to Acer P4 3GHz Desktop prosessor laptop with nice amount
>of RAM and fast HD but the noise!!! argh.! Just like sitting in airplane or
>something.
>
>Any ideas?

Yeah, don't use a Lap top for professional audio recording. Every professional
studio will have a machine room for all the stuff that make noise. This takes
all the noise you don't want out of your mixing environment.
There are some parts of a computer that will always make a lot of noise,
hardrives, fans, ROM drives, etc.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 9:57:56 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Raymond" <bruwhaha58097238@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20041109235010.08392.00000422@mb-m04.aol.com...
> >From: "J.A." hyeena_spam_@sci.fi
> >Date: 11/9/04 11:18 PM Eastern Standard Time
> >Message-id: <TEgkd.536$xd4.124@reader1.news.jippii.net>
> >
> >Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy
noise.
> >Now I sit next to Acer P4 3GHz Desktop prosessor laptop with nice amount
> >of RAM and fast HD but the noise!!! argh.! Just like sitting in airplane
or
> >something.
> >
> >Any ideas?
>
> Yeah, don't use a Lap top for professional audio recording. Every
professional
> studio will have a machine room for all the stuff that make noise. This
takes
> all the noise you don't want out of your mixing environment.
> There are some parts of a computer that will always make a lot of noise,
> hardrives, fans, ROM drives, etc.

Yep, I used to have computer in different room and got wires thru wall but
now
its not possible and had a lot of problems with long wires (specially with
DVI cables)

Now I have placed my desktop computer into large old phonecentral cabinet
with
soundproofing. its ok, wireless keyboard and mouse does work fine.

But all this does not take my need of DAW laptop. I have USB based
audiodevice
and I do soundwork in different places as well. There I need laptop.

..jukka
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 2:51:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <TEgkd.536$xd4.124@reader1.news.jippii.net> hyeena_spam_@sci.fi writes:

> Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy noise.

Probalby not, at least not all the time. Laptops tend to have
intermittent cooling - run the fan fast and hard until the insides
cool down, then turn it off - so you get intermittent blasts of noise.
I suspect that this is more efficient use of the battery, which is
important to laptop users (or at least laptop marketeers). While there
are a number of modifications that you can make to a desktop computer
to get adequate cooling with lower velocity air flow, there really
isn't much room to work inside a laptop.

If battery operation isn't a requirement and you just want a computer
that you can carry more easily than your standard tower case, you
might look into those mini motherboards (Shuttle PC and the like). In
a reveiw of computers designed for music applications in the October
issue of Recording, Mike Metlay gave the Digital Audio Wave DAWin
QB-4. It's in an Antec Aria case, and he commented that this was the
quietest Windows computer he's ever used.

With a little creativity and a visit to the Goodwill store, you could
put together a carrying case to hold a keyboard, mouse, and 15" LCD
monitor. Carry the computer under an arm, the case in that hand, and
still have an arm and hand free to carry mics and cables.


--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 4:15:17 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

>> >Any ideas?
>>

Speed equals noise from the motors and fans. Slower HDDs are quieter, and
slower CPUs don't need fans.

-John O
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 9:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"John O" <johno@#no^spam&heathkit.com> wrote in message
news:Evokd.21078$d36.3651@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> >> >Any ideas?
> >>
>
> Speed equals noise from the motors and fans. Slower HDDs are quieter, and
> slower CPUs don't need fans.
>
> -John O
>
>

we live in difficult times. I guess after few years there is no need for
coolers at all :) 

..jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 9:17:38 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2004-11-10, Raymond <bruwhaha58097238@aol.com> wrote:

> Yeah, don't use a Lap top for professional audio recording. Every professional
> studio will have a machine room for all the stuff that make noise. This takes
> all the noise you don't want out of your mixing environment.


My problem is that the computer is the instrument. I wish for a 2U
short fanless rack case with a PCI slot and a DVD/CDRW, and a SFF
(Mini-ITX? Shuttle?) mainboard that's fanless yet high enough spec
to run a good VST host.

You've got my christmas list Santa. I've been GOOD.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 10:38:19 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:znr1100093184k@trad...
>
> In article <TEgkd.536$xd4.124@reader1.news.jippii.net> hyeena_spam_@sci.fi
writes:
>
> > Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy
noise.
>
> Probalby not, at least not all the time. Laptops tend to have
> intermittent cooling - run the fan fast and hard until the insides
> cool down, then turn it off - so you get intermittent blasts of noise.
> I suspect that this is more efficient use of the battery, which is
> important to laptop users (or at least laptop marketeers). While there
> are a number of modifications that you can make to a desktop computer
> to get adequate cooling with lower velocity air flow, there really
> isn't much room to work inside a laptop.
>
> If battery operation isn't a requirement and you just want a computer
> that you can carry more easily than your standard tower case, you
> might look into those mini motherboards (Shuttle PC and the like). In
> a reveiw of computers designed for music applications in the October
> issue of Recording, Mike Metlay gave the Digital Audio Wave DAWin
> QB-4. It's in an Antec Aria case, and he commented that this was the
> quietest Windows computer he's ever used.
>
> With a little creativity and a visit to the Goodwill store, you could
> put together a carrying case to hold a keyboard, mouse, and 15" LCD
> monitor. Carry the computer under an arm, the case in that hand, and
> still have an arm and hand free to carry mics and cables.
>
>
> --
> I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
> However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
> lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
> you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
> and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo


I have microATX pizzabox case in my current studio computer.
I can carry TFT display and wires+stuff in 6U high 19" rackcase
but it really isnt "portable" you dont carry it with you if really necessary

..jukka
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 10, 2004 11:43:46 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <slrncp4mr9.sed.fishbowl@radagast.home.conservatory.com> fishbowl@conservatory.com writes:

> My problem is that the computer is the instrument. I wish for a 2U
> short fanless rack case with a PCI slot and a DVD/CDRW, and a SFF
> (Mini-ITX? Shuttle?) mainboard that's fanless yet high enough spec
> to run a good VST host.

Shoutmedia had something like that at the NAMM show back in January.
They also had a passively cooled laptop. Neither are on their web
site, however, but if you contacted them, I'll bet they'd build one
for you . If you have enough money.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers (mrivers@d-and-d.com)
However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 2:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"J.A." <hyeena_spam_@sci.fi> wrote in message
news:o 4rkd.716$5D.413@reader1.news.jippii.net...
> we live in difficult times. I guess after few years there is no need for
> coolers at all :) 

Not if things follow the present trends. The chips have been getting
hotter, not cooler.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 7:06:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

J.A. <hyeena_spam_@sci.fi> wrote:

> Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy noise.
> Now I sit next to Acer P4 3GHz Desktop prosessor laptop with nice amount
> of RAM and fast HD but the noise!!! argh.! Just like sitting in airplane or
> something.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> .jukka

My 1 GHz G4 iBook is dead silent. I only recently learned that it
actually have a fan. I have yet to hear it spin. Maybe it would in a
non a/c room in the summertime...
--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 10:39:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On 2004-11-11, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:


>If you have enough money.

I'll live with it. "Thanks" Mike.

My vocal mic does a good job of not picking up the PC when I'm doing the
usual playing piano and singing and recording separate tracks. Or
maybe I'm just in denial. If I got serious about anything, I wouldn't
try to go further with my home rig anyway, but it would sure be *nice*
if I could have actual *silence*. But silence is what's expensive,
isn't it?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 11, 2004 2:05:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Our Apple laptops are quieter than my Sony. Hard to tell how much
quieter, but it's noticeable. Problem is the screwy keyboard layout on
the portaMacs.

--
"It CAN'T be too loud... some of the red lights aren't even on yet!"
- Lorin David Schultz
in the control room
making even bad news sound good

(Remove spamblock to reply)

"J.A." <hyeena_spam_@sci.fi> wrote in message
news:TEgkd.536$xd4.124@reader1.news.jippii.net...
> Is there any good, powerfull laptop for audio use without any fancy
noise.
> Now I sit next to Acer P4 3GHz Desktop prosessor laptop with nice
amount
> of RAM and fast HD but the noise!!! argh.! Just like sitting in
airplane or
> something.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> .jukka
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 12:17:05 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

I wasn't sure if you are looking for a quiet computer or a quiet
laptop. A desktop can be made totally fanless thus totally silent with
various watercooling products and cooling towers. e.g. Innovatek HTSC
and innovatek-o-matic. check them out at www.innovatek.de

Tapani
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 13, 2004 1:14:51 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Tapani Rauha" <tapani.rauha@postikaista.net> wrote in message
news:335ac4af.0411120917.275dc494@posting.google.com...
> I wasn't sure if you are looking for a quiet computer or a quiet
> laptop. A desktop can be made totally fanless thus totally silent with
> various watercooling products and cooling towers. e.g. Innovatek HTSC
> and innovatek-o-matic. check them out at www.innovatek.de
>
> Tapani

hi there,
well this was about laptops but since my PSU broke down just few weeks ago
(running now basic codegen power) there is need for fanless PSU... seems to
be
little pricey in places but I guess its worth of that investment.

..jukka
!