Dynamat Padding in a case??

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
I have a rather noisy heatsink fan on my system, with an antec performance series case. There is no side window on my case, which led me to wonder, Would installing a noise-reducing padding like Dynamat on the side of my case, actually reduce the noise? What effects would it have on heat or air circulation? I don't think it would have any adverse effects on anything. They use this type of padding alot in vehicles to reduce vibrations, such as in a trunk with 2 12" woofers in it, to keep it from vibrating, but would it help to deaden noise caused by a fan?? Has anyone ever done this before? Thanks

I've run foam finger panels on the inside of my case side covers, results in very slight sound reduction but anything is better than nothing. Why don't you try it and post your results.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Ive seen a number of reviews about noise insulation... and there seems to be only minor benefit in using the stuff.

In my experience its MUCH better looking at whats cauzing all the noise and replacing or modifing it so its quieter.

Bigger fans on fan adaptors, better fans, better heatsinks, less of them or fans on variable speed rheostats are better solutions.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I'd have to agree. The dynamat will reduce the noise slightly, but your still looking at replacing the noise producers. Check out the Zalman stuff. I've got their heatsink/96mm fan setup with the fanmate for adjusting the fan speed; it's not too bad even at high speed and keeps my 2100+ cool on the low quiet speeds. They do sell the fanmate by itself so you can add it to other fans as well. Also, don't forget to look at the case and power supply fans, as they will continue to make noise as well.

Jarrett

TRENDING THREADS