2 HD's causing havoc...HELP PLEASE!!!!

buletbugs

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2002
I have a new WIN XP computer. It worked fine. Old games will not play. I added 2nd HD. Back and forth to get them both runnning with OLD HD WIN98. Only way to get it going was to boot from BIOS.

But..I had some bugs on old HD so I decided to format and start fresh. The computer formatted the new HD!!!!!!

I had old utility of UNFORMAT. I tried that on new HD to try and get files back. I can see the files on the MSDOS screen but it showed the file names as gibberish. Now I don't see a thing.

I called the computer people and we went through the sequence. the new WINXP HD is working but it doesn't see a operating system so it can't start up.

I booted up from the old WIN98 HD which works.

In Windows Explorer you can see the new HD listed as
D: drive. When I click D: drive it tells me...

D: is not accessible
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

If I go into SYSTEM PROPERTIES it lists 2 HD's. The first one shows it is the C: drive but the second HD does not show any drive letter. IT is faded out.

The computer people told me to take HD out and put in another computer so the other computer can see the files and not the operating system so I can just retrieve my files.

I tried scandisk and fdisk ....all no good.

Is there a command that I can put in the WIN 98 autoexec or config.sys file to make the computer see the D: drive??

Help help help help help

buletbugs

Lee10455

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2002
First of all your win 98 hd is probably fat32 and your winxp hd is ntfs. If this is the case and it probably is your 98 will never be able to see your xp hd. The only way to get your information off would be to put your xp hd into a 2000 or xp(that is formatted NTFS) box. You can read about this in the hd faq.