Apologies to Creative Audigy2; It was Intel & Asus

misterg1

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
I just fraged Creative for all my Audigy2 problems on a previous post and it wasn't their bug. I had problems with games crashing, MediaSorce Player throttling CPU usage to 100% and freezing system when changing EAX setting and one I didn't mention was DVD Player stopping for several seconds several times durring all songs on Demo Disk.
I decided to give Creative the benefit of the doubt and put a new load on a 40gig extra drive. (XP-Pro Sp1) It was loaded on Asus P4T533 with P4 2.53, Samsung 4200 32bit RDRAM, Asus G4 4400 Etc. In the new load EVERYTHING worked perfect. Hm-m-m-m-m! I Said! (out loud too) Here I checked to make sure "DMA when needed" was checked in device mgr. on XP and I noted that the IDE ATA setting was for Intel-82801BA Bus Master IDE Controler dated 7-1-01. It was also digitally signed. Then (this is getting long) I boot old XP install and behold I found Intel 82801BA Ultra ATA Controler installed ver.2.2.02126 dated 4-10-02 and NOT digitally signed. Came on driver disk with Asus Mobo........ A rollback to previous drv was the one dated 7-1-01 and this cleared up all the issues I had with the Audigy2. Well almost all.(still needs better title editor in MediaSorce Recorder/Player) Hope this will help someone who is having problems with Audigy2. It really has some awesome features and sounds great. BTW I have Cambridge DTT2500 5.1 sound amp. with DXR3 Decoder and got it to work well with that so ask if you have a problem with this and I'll be happy to share.

Mr. "G" aka Geezar/Geezer

Ignorance is when you're not aware of the facts........Stupidity is when you are aware of the facts but fail to reach a logical conclusion.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, DON'T DO IT (apologize)! This is the same type of problem people with the VIA 686B southbridge had with Creative cards. So the IDE driver may have had problems with the Creative card, I don't see that driver having problems with OTHER sound cards! It's not Intel's fault if they had to incorporate a "Creative Soundcard" patch into their IDE driver!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

misterg1

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
Crashman, I would agree except that I didn't notice that the Intel drv was NOT digitally signed. It did however work with the Audigy that I replaced which seems a little strange. The P4T533 I'm using now has the 850E chipset and the New IDE Intel drv that came with the Asus Mobo was dated 4-10-02 so probably should have been updated for the new chipset and wasn't, therefore, hard to put the blame anywhere specific. Struggled a lot with AMD's over the last 10yrs or so and just got tired of fighting the battles even tho I eventually got them all stable. Still have an 800 AMD in the workshop thats stable. After 19yrs building systems I guess I'm always so greatful to find a way to make things work I forget all the hours invested but I remember the days when jumper settings were incorrect in the manuals (more like booklets) and even on the boards themselves. Even now I wonder how newbies can stay with it cause now all the companies use us to beta test both hardware and software and thats even more frustrating as there's so damn much of both out there. OPPS, I think I'm rambling, I really am gettin old......... I appreciate your postings on this board as your right to the point and willing to help and share with all. Keep up the good work...

Mr "G" aka Geezar/Geezer

HAPPY THANKSGIVING