V551 Bluetooth setup

Hi folks,

Hope you can help with this.

I have new v551

Bought from CompUSA USB BT adepter - their brand.

I've tried to connect to XP - Pro and XP - Home machines with mixed but
bad results.

Tried Mobile agent and MPT

Tried connecting using native BT and com port.

all NG

It can't be THAT hard!

What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :(
14 answers Last reply
More about v551 bluetooth setup

    Mr.~G wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Hope you can help with this.
    >
    > I have new v551
    >
    > Bought from CompUSA USB BT adepter - their brand.
    >
    > I've tried to connect to XP - Pro and XP - Home machines with mixed but
    > bad results.
    >
    > Tried Mobile agent and MPT
    >
    > Tried connecting using native BT and com port.
    >
    > all NG
    >
    > It can't be THAT hard!
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated. :(

    Try this

    This is what motorola said to do:

    1.) Install as suggested in the "getting started" pamphlet

    2.) You will probably have issues at step 24 "discover devices"
    This is because windows XP SP2 took over the device and used
    it's "generic bluetooth radio" driver - not the CSR bluetooth
    required by MPT.

    To Fix:

    1.) Make sure the bluetooth dongle is physically connected

    2.) Disable Bluetooth Enumerator
    - Goto Device manager
    To get to go to My computer
    View System Information (upper left side)
    Click on "Hardware" tab
    Click on "Device Manager" button

    - Expand "Bluetooth" devices
    - Right Click on "Enumerator"
    - Click on "Disable"

    3.) Install the Correct Driver (update Driver)
    - Right Click on "Generic Bluetooth Radio" (still in device manager)
    - Click on "update Driver" (this opens up Wizard)
    - Choose "install from a list or specific location" & click NEXT
    - Choose "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" & Next
    - Choose "CSR USB Bluetooth Device" & Next
    - Click "Finish" - YOUR GOOD TO GO!

    Now if you start up the Mobile Phone Tools and continue with the
    "getting started" pamphlet from step #20 (Start Mobile Phone Tools),
    everything should work ok (I hope!).

    It worked for me. I have the same setup.

    "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Hope you can help with this.
    >
    > I have new v551
    >
    > Bought from CompUSA USB BT adepter - their brand.
    >
    > I've tried to connect to XP - Pro and XP - Home machines with mixed but
    > bad results.
    >
    > Tried Mobile agent and MPT
    >
    > Tried connecting using native BT and com port.
    >
    > all NG
    >
    > It can't be THAT hard!
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Any help is greatly appreciated. :(

    Altough it seems a bit strange, it is necessary to set up a Dial Up Network
    (DUN) connection via Bluetooth.
    Then MPT will connect to your phone. I dunno why - but thats the way it
    works.

    Oliver

    "Oliver Bobon" <a0308484@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote in message

    SNIP

    > Altough it seems a bit strange, it is necessary to set up a Dial Up
    > Network (DUN) connection via Bluetooth.
    > Then MPT will connect to your phone. I dunno why - but thats the way it
    > works.
    >
    > Oliver

    While this may be true for MPT it is not necessary to create or use a DUN
    connection to connect the V551 to the PC via Bluetooth. If all you want to
    do is transfer files like Pics or Videos to and from the PC you can use the
    SW that came with your BT adapter from CompUSA.

    Since you didn't mention it I am wondering if you are using Win XP w/SP2? If
    so you may need to reload the drivers that came with the BT adapter. The
    drivers that come with the SP2 update for Windows may not provide the full
    functionality that is possible with the drivers that came with the adapter.

    Cheers
    TC

    Hey Thanks Folks! :)

    I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
    Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It seems
    to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions on the
    Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help with the
    settings.

    I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives you
    to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link > setup >
    good luck"! :ah:

    BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the DUN
    info - ?

    Thanks again - I'll be back.

    MG

    --
    Mr.~G
    Mr.~G's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69930

    I'm back...

    So I was able to use the USB dongle's Bluetooth neighborhood to move
    data and one contact at a time between the PC and the Phone.

    Then I tried FMA - it connects but I can't use it to sync the phone book
    and calendar etc. the UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD buttons are grayed out. I can
    load up the screen with contact info from outlook but that's as far as
    it goes.

    MPT has been crashing on me complaining about BTTray invalid license
    type. So I'm staying away from that for now. One problem at a time.

    Not very impressed by this V551.

    MG

    Anybody with the info can add to the blog. I've left it open to all who
    would like to post useful info.
    http://brobin111.blogspot.com

    From:Mr.~G
    Mr.G.1jr4l1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net

    > Hey Thanks Folks! :)
    >
    > I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
    > Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It seems
    > to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions on the
    > Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help with the
    > settings.
    >
    > I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives you
    > to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link > setup >
    > good luck"! :ah:
    >
    > BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the DUN
    > info - ?
    >
    > Thanks again - I'll be back.
    >
    > MG
    >

    > --
    > Mr.~G
    > Mr.~G's Profile:
    > http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69930
    > View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419

    "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    SNIP

    > Then I tried FMA - it connects but I can't use it to sync the phone book
    > and calendar etc. the UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD buttons are grayed out. I can
    > load up the screen with contact info from outlook but that's as far as it
    > goes.
    >
    > MPT has been crashing on me complaining about BTTray invalid license type.
    > So I'm staying away from that for now. One problem at a time.
    >
    > Not very impressed by this V551.

    FMA is primarily a tool for Sony Ericsson phones although it does work with
    some other phones. It would be no suprise to me that it doesn't work with
    the V551.

    TC

    I tried but - This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

    found no other way in.
    MG

    BruceR wrote:
    > Anybody with the info can add to the blog. I've left it open to all who
    > would like to post useful info.
    > http://brobin111.blogspot.com
    >

    > From:Mr.~G
    > Mr.G.1jr4l1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
    >

    >>Hey Thanks Folks! :)
    >>
    >>I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
    >>Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It seems
    >>to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions on the
    >>Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help with the
    >>settings.
    >>
    >>I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives you
    >>to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link > setup >
    >>good luck"! :ah:
    >>
    >>BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the DUN
    >>info - ?
    >>
    >>Thanks again - I'll be back.
    >>
    >>MG
    >>

    >>--
    >>Mr.~G
    >>Mr.~G's Profile:
    >>http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69930
    >>View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419

    So, is MPT my only option?

    Nokia gives away their software if you have their hardware! I had a
    6590i which was great but for one address book flaw (sort was by first
    name and no way to change it).

    MG

    Tony Clark wrote:
    > "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > SNIP
    >

    >>Then I tried FMA - it connects but I can't use it to sync the phone book
    >>and calendar etc. the UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD buttons are grayed out. I can
    >>load up the screen with contact info from outlook but that's as far as it
    >>goes.
    >>
    >>MPT has been crashing on me complaining about BTTray invalid license type.
    >>So I'm staying away from that for now. One problem at a time.
    >>
    >>Not very impressed by this V551.
    >>

    > FMA is primarily a tool for Sony Ericsson phones although it does work with
    > some other phones. It would be no suprise to me that it doesn't work with
    > the V551.
    >
    > TC

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Now it does. I had to change a setting. Feel free to add comments to it.
    This is my first time blogging so I'm still learning about the options
    and how to use them. Pretty interesting stuff!

    From:Mr.~G
    Taekwonmg@hotmail.com

    > I tried but - This blog does not allow anonymous comments.
    >
    > found no other way in.
    > MG
    >
    > BruceR wrote:
    >> Anybody with the info can add to the blog. I've left it open to all
    >> who would like to post useful info.
    >> http://brobin111.blogspot.com
    >>

    >> From:Mr.~G
    >> Mr.G.1jr4l1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
    >>

    >>> Hey Thanks Folks! :)
    >>>
    >>> I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
    >>> Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It
    >>> seems to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions
    >>> on the Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help
    >>> with the settings.
    >>>
    >>> I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives
    >>> you to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link >
    >>> setup > good luck"! :ah:
    >>>
    >>> BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the
    >>> DUN info - ?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again - I'll be back.
    >>>
    >>> MG
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Mr.~G
    >>> Mr.~G's Profile:
    >>> http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=69930
    >>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    > So, is MPT my only option?
    >
    > Nokia gives away their software if you have their hardware! I had a 6590i
    > which was great but for one address book flaw (sort was by first name and
    > no way to change it).
    >
    > MG
    >
    > Tony Clark wrote:
    >> "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> SNIP

    SNIP

    MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can do over
    Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the phone book on the
    V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one though.

    Cheers
    TC
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    DataPilot works nicely too.

    From:Tony Clark
    curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com

    > "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> So, is MPT my only option?
    >>
    >> Nokia gives away their software if you have their hardware! I had a
    >> 6590i which was great but for one address book flaw (sort was by
    >> first name and no way to change it).
    >>
    >> MG
    >>
    >> Tony Clark wrote:
    >>> "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:CkCLd.6213$Ix.4216@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    >>> SNIP
    >>>

    > SNIP
    >
    > MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can
    > do over Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the
    > phone book on the V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one
    > though.
    > Cheers
    > TC
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Tony Clark wrote:

    > MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can do over
    > Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the phone book on the
    > V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one though.

    Similarly, the support for syncing calendars is pretty marginal. I end
    up with duplicate entries, and it doesn't sync many entries that are
    recurring but have exceptions. Any other software for syncing Outlook
    calendars?
  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Check out www.datapilot.com

    From:Bob Horvath
    usenet@horvath.com

    > Tony Clark wrote:
    >>

    >> MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can
    >> do over Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the
    >> phone book on the V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one
    >> though.
    >

    > Similarly, the support for syncing calendars is pretty marginal. I
    > end up with duplicate entries, and it doesn't sync many entries that
    > are recurring but have exceptions. Any other software for syncing
    > Outlook calendars?

Motorola Windows XP Bluetooth