Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

V551 Bluetooth setup

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 1:36:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Hi folks,

Hope you can help with this.

I have new v551

Bought from CompUSA USB BT adepter - their brand.

I've tried to connect to XP - Pro and XP - Home machines with mixed but
bad results.

Tried Mobile agent and MPT

Tried connecting using native BT and com port.

all NG

It can't be THAT hard!

What am I doing wrong?

Any help is greatly appreciated. :( 

More about : v551 bluetooth setup

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:14:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Mr.~G wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Hope you can help with this.
>
> I have new v551
>
> Bought from CompUSA USB BT adepter - their brand.
>
> I've tried to connect to XP - Pro and XP - Home machines with mixed but
> bad results.
>
> Tried Mobile agent and MPT
>
> Tried connecting using native BT and com port.
>
> all NG
>
> It can't be THAT hard!
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. :( 

Try this

This is what motorola said to do:

1.) Install as suggested in the "getting started" pamphlet

2.) You will probably have issues at step 24 "discover devices"
This is because windows XP SP2 took over the device and used
it's "generic bluetooth radio" driver - not the CSR bluetooth
required by MPT.

To Fix:

1.) Make sure the bluetooth dongle is physically connected

2.) Disable Bluetooth Enumerator
- Goto Device manager
To get to go to My computer
View System Information (upper left side)
Click on "Hardware" tab
Click on "Device Manager" button

- Expand "Bluetooth" devices
- Right Click on "Enumerator"
- Click on "Disable"

3.) Install the Correct Driver (update Driver)
- Right Click on "Generic Bluetooth Radio" (still in device manager)
- Click on "update Driver" (this opens up Wizard)
- Choose "install from a list or specific location" & click NEXT
- Choose "Don't Search. I will choose the driver to install" & Next
- Choose "CSR USB Bluetooth Device" & Next
- Click "Finish" - YOUR GOOD TO GO!

Now if you start up the Mobile Phone Tools and continue with the
"getting started" pamphlet from step #20 (Start Mobile Phone Tools),
everything should work ok (I hope!).

It worked for me. I have the same setup.
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:23:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4eUKd.2023$S3.1312@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Hi folks,
>
> Hope you can help with this.
>
> I have new v551
>
> Bought from CompUSA USB BT adepter - their brand.
>
> I've tried to connect to XP - Pro and XP - Home machines with mixed but
> bad results.
>
> Tried Mobile agent and MPT
>
> Tried connecting using native BT and com port.
>
> all NG
>
> It can't be THAT hard!
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated. :( 


Altough it seems a bit strange, it is necessary to set up a Dial Up Network
(DUN) connection via Bluetooth.
Then MPT will connect to your phone. I dunno why - but thats the way it
works.

Oliver
Related resources
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 8:56:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Oliver Bobon" <a0308484@unet.univie.ac.at> wrote in message
news:41fc36fb$0$27508$91cee783@newsreader02.highway.telekom.at...
>
SNIP

>
>
> Altough it seems a bit strange, it is necessary to set up a Dial Up
> Network (DUN) connection via Bluetooth.
> Then MPT will connect to your phone. I dunno why - but thats the way it
> works.
>
> Oliver

While this may be true for MPT it is not necessary to create or use a DUN
connection to connect the V551 to the PC via Bluetooth. If all you want to
do is transfer files like Pics or Videos to and from the PC you can use the
SW that came with your BT adapter from CompUSA.

Since you didn't mention it I am wondering if you are using Win XP w/SP2? If
so you may need to reload the drivers that came with the BT adapter. The
drivers that come with the SP2 update for Windows may not provide the full
functionality that is possible with the drivers that came with the adapter.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:30:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Hey Thanks Folks! :) 

I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It seems
to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions on the
Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help with the
settings.

I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives you
to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link > setup >
good luck"! :ah:

BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the DUN
info - ?

Thanks again - I'll be back.

MG


--
Mr.~G
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr.~G's Profile: http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 6:04:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I'm back...

So I was able to use the USB dongle's Bluetooth neighborhood to move
data and one contact at a time between the PC and the Phone.

Then I tried FMA - it connects but I can't use it to sync the phone book
and calendar etc. the UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD buttons are grayed out. I can
load up the screen with contact info from outlook but that's as far as
it goes.

MPT has been crashing on me complaining about BTTray invalid license
type. So I'm staying away from that for now. One problem at a time.

Not very impressed by this V551.

MG
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:29:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Anybody with the info can add to the blog. I've left it open to all who
would like to post useful info.
http://brobin111.blogspot.com


From:Mr.~G
Mr.G.1jr4l1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net

> Hey Thanks Folks! :) 
>
> I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
> Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It seems
> to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions on the
> Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help with the
> settings.
>
> I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives you
> to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link > setup >
> good luck"! :ah:
>
> BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the DUN
> info - ?
>
> Thanks again - I'll be back.
>
> MG
>
>
> --
> Mr.~G
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Mr.~G's Profile:
> http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:14:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:CkCLd.6213$Ix.4216@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
SNIP

> Then I tried FMA - it connects but I can't use it to sync the phone book
> and calendar etc. the UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD buttons are grayed out. I can
> load up the screen with contact info from outlook but that's as far as it
> goes.
>
> MPT has been crashing on me complaining about BTTray invalid license type.
> So I'm staying away from that for now. One problem at a time.
>
> Not very impressed by this V551.
>

FMA is primarily a tool for Sony Ericsson phones although it does work with
some other phones. It would be no suprise to me that it doesn't work with
the V551.

TC
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:09:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

I tried but - This blog does not allow anonymous comments.

found no other way in.
MG

BruceR wrote:
> Anybody with the info can add to the blog. I've left it open to all who
> would like to post useful info.
> http://brobin111.blogspot.com
>
>
> From:Mr.~G
> Mr.G.1jr4l1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
>
>
>>Hey Thanks Folks! :) 
>>
>>I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
>>Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It seems
>>to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions on the
>>Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help with the
>>settings.
>>
>>I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives you
>>to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link > setup >
>>good luck"! :ah:
>>
>>BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the DUN
>>info - ?
>>
>>Thanks again - I'll be back.
>>
>>MG
>>
>>
>>--
>>Mr.~G
>>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>Mr.~G's Profile:
>>http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
>>View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419
>
>
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 5:15:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

So, is MPT my only option?

Nokia gives away their software if you have their hardware! I had a
6590i which was great but for one address book flaw (sort was by first
name and no way to change it).

MG

Tony Clark wrote:
> "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:CkCLd.6213$Ix.4216@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> SNIP
>
>
>>Then I tried FMA - it connects but I can't use it to sync the phone book
>>and calendar etc. the UPLOAD and DOWNLOAD buttons are grayed out. I can
>>load up the screen with contact info from outlook but that's as far as it
>>goes.
>>
>>MPT has been crashing on me complaining about BTTray invalid license type.
>>So I'm staying away from that for now. One problem at a time.
>>
>>Not very impressed by this V551.
>>
>
>
> FMA is primarily a tool for Sony Ericsson phones although it does work with
> some other phones. It would be no suprise to me that it doesn't work with
> the V551.
>
> TC
>
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:38:05 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Now it does. I had to change a setting. Feel free to add comments to it.
This is my first time blogging so I'm still learning about the options
and how to use them. Pretty interesting stuff!

From:Mr.~G
Taekwonmg@hotmail.com

> I tried but - This blog does not allow anonymous comments.
>
> found no other way in.
> MG
>
> BruceR wrote:
>> Anybody with the info can add to the blog. I've left it open to all
>> who would like to post useful info.
>> http://brobin111.blogspot.com
>>
>>
>> From:Mr.~G
>> Mr.G.1jr4l1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net
>>
>>
>>> Hey Thanks Folks! :) 
>>>
>>> I can't say that I'm out of the woods yet but I can see the edge.
>>> Oliver: The DUN was needed to hook up software to the v551. It
>>> seems to communicate via the com port. Mooseki: Great intructions
>>> on the Driver changes needed. BruceR: The BLOG was a great help
>>> with the settings.
>>>
>>> I'm very disappointed in the amount of information Motorola gives
>>> you to make this work. "settings > connections > Bluetooth Link >
>>> setup > good luck"! :ah:
>>>
>>> BruceR - maybe your BLOG will help others with the Driver and the
>>> DUN info - ?
>>>
>>> Thanks again - I'll be back.
>>>
>>> MG
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mr.~G
>>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Mr.~G's Profile:
>>> http://cellphoneforums.net/member.php?action=getinfo&us...
>>> View this thread: http://cellphoneforums.net/t165419
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 9:14:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

"Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:nJWLd.5428$S3.4100@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> So, is MPT my only option?
>
> Nokia gives away their software if you have their hardware! I had a 6590i
> which was great but for one address book flaw (sort was by first name and
> no way to change it).
>
> MG
>
> Tony Clark wrote:
>> "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:CkCLd.6213$Ix.4216@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> SNIP
>>
>>
SNIP

MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can do over
Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the phone book on the
V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one though.

Cheers
TC
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:43:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

DataPilot works nicely too.

From:Tony Clark
curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com

> "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:nJWLd.5428$S3.4100@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>> So, is MPT my only option?
>>
>> Nokia gives away their software if you have their hardware! I had a
>> 6590i which was great but for one address book flaw (sort was by
>> first name and no way to change it).
>>
>> MG
>>
>> Tony Clark wrote:
>>> "Mr.~G" <Taekwonmg@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:CkCLd.6213$Ix.4216@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
>>> SNIP
>>>
>>>
> SNIP
>
> MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can
> do over Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the
> phone book on the V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one
> though.
> Cheers
> TC
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 1:08:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Tony Clark wrote:
>
>
> MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can do over
> Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the phone book on the
> V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one though.


Similarly, the support for syncing calendars is pretty marginal. I end
up with duplicate entries, and it doesn't sync many entries that are
recurring but have exceptions. Any other software for syncing Outlook
calendars?
Anonymous
February 4, 2005 10:36:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

Check out www.datapilot.com

From:Bob Horvath
usenet@horvath.com

> Tony Clark wrote:
>>
>>
>> MPT is the only option that I know of. There are some things you can
>> do over Bluetooth but I have yet to find any utility to manage the
>> phone book on the V551 other than MPT. I'd sure like to find one
>> though.
>
>
> Similarly, the support for syncing calendars is pretty marginal. I
> end up with duplicate entries, and it doesn't sync many entries that
> are recurring but have exceptions. Any other software for syncing
> Outlook calendars?
!