Can my Bluray internal driver burn Bluray discs?

thebestsam

Honorable
May 19, 2012
HI, I bought "ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Drive Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM" from newegg.com. Here is the site: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135247

It said it can read blu ray disc and other discs as well. The I look at its writing speed, I do not see any bluray disc format and would like to know if it can write bluray blank discs?

I bought blu ray blank discs and it does not write as it say that there's an error or not compatable, so does that mean that this blu ray internal driver can't write bluray discs? If so what kind of bluray driver do I need in order to write/burn bluray movies since I have bluray blank discs.

bwrlane

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010

Sorry but it won't burn blu ray discs. Blu ray writer technology is more expensive and quite different from DVD/CD writer technology. The giveaway is the BD-ROM bit. If it could write, it would say BD-RE.

Actually though, it isn't so bad. I have yet to find a use for my blu ray writer. This is because the capacity falls between two stools. It is more than you need for every day file transfers and not enough for backups or archiving. Also, the discs are too expensive for the most obvious use (burning movies).