MN-500 Going on and off?

Last response: in Networking
Share
May 9, 2004 7:51:24 PM

This is really strange for me, but i have a mn-710
wireless G usb adapter connected to my computer and a mn-
500 wireless router about 10 ft from the computer.

Ill connect to the router and get excellent signal, but
after about 5-10 minutes in windows, i lose connection to
the router and windows wants to look for another router?

whats goin on here? is this a flaw in the mn-500 or
something?

More about : 500

Anonymous
May 9, 2004 10:58:23 PM

Hi,

Try disabling the 802.1x authentication on your wireless network card
properties. If 802.1x authentication is enabled on your wireless network
card and if
your access point doesn't support this authentication the connection will be
disconnected after a few minutes.

To disable 802.1x authenication over your wireless network card...

1.. Click Start, point to Connect To, click Show all connections, and then
double-click your wireless network adapter.
2.. On the General tab, click Properties.
3.. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
4.. Under Preferred Networks, click your home network, and then click
Properties.
5.. Click Data encryption (WEP enabled).
6.. Click the Association tab, and then click to clear the Network
Authentication (Shared mode) check box and the The key is provided for me
automatically check box, if they are selected.
7.. Click the Authentication tab, and then click to clear the Enable IEEE
802.1x authentication for this network check box, if it is selected.
8.. Click OK two times to accept the changes.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Albert" <chibial@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is really strange for me, but i have a mn-710
> wireless G usb adapter connected to my computer and a mn-
> 500 wireless router about 10 ft from the computer.
>
> Ill connect to the router and get excellent signal, but
> after about 5-10 minutes in windows, i lose connection to
> the router and windows wants to look for another router?
>
> whats goin on here? is this a flaw in the mn-500 or
> something?
Anonymous
May 9, 2004 10:58:24 PM

Thanks a mil, worked like a charm.

Is this a common flaw for the mn-500?

Anonymous
May 10, 2004 12:08:14 AM

It's not a flaw in the MN500.

I don't know of any home-level router that supports 802.1x authenication.
It's often something found in higher business-class type access points.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

!