northernstar

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2002
Hi, I am buying ram for an Asus A7N8X motherboard. My (stupid)questions are:

What does Cas 2 mean?
What does registered, non-registered mean?
What does Non-Ecc mean?

What kind of stuff should I be looking for in new Ram?

Sorry about the dumb questions. If anybody can recommend a specific type of ram for this mobo it would be great! I am putting probably a XP2000+ or XP2100+ with it.

Thanks!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Newbie questions are best answered by reading the FAQ.

As for your particular system, thats an Nforce2 motherboard, so i suggest you get Two sticks of decent quality 256Mb PC2700 ram.
Not too costly, lots of onboard memory and very high performance.

Corsair, Crucial, Winbond, Micron are all decent brands.

<font color=red><b><i>"Humans are just overclocked Monkeys!"</i></b></font color=red>
<b>Serving THGC for over 2 years.</b>

wschuerm

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2002
cas 2 is referred to cas latency = the waiting time for new data to enter the memory generally cas 2 is the best you can get and i recommend that you do because it does make a difference

i'm not sure about the registered but registered ist mostly better

ECC = error code correcting, you'll have to seen if your mobo can use this kind of ram because sometimes ECC is not supported

in your case (2100+ or so ) i would put in one stick of memory pc 2700 cas2 (corsair or samsung or kingston or mushkin) the CPU u will use can not use the bandwidth provided by the dual channel because the cpu has a bandwidth of 2.1 GB while an nforce 2 with dual ddr 333 would provide it with 5.4 GB with single channel DDR 333 you will still get 2.7 GB which would be enough for that cpu, but don't let that stop you from buying th nforce 2 mobo even in single channel config it outperform via kt 333/400. Later you can upgrade and put in an athlon 2600+ or higher supporting a 333FSB and another stick of ram to use the dual channel ddr (make sure that second stick is the same)

Remember the time You used 20Mb harddrives