ProTools Error: DAE error -9131

Last response: in Home Audio
November 11, 2004 3:01:57 PM

ProTools reccommends recording tracks to an external hard drive
instead of your system drive. Yet when I specify my external firewire
drive as the place to save the session, I get "DAE error -9131 was
encountered" when trying to record a track. I've reformatted my drive
without OS X journaling, as recommended, but I still get this error.
If saving to the system drive, everything's peachy. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:43:43 AM

"Fleemo" <fleemo17@comcast.net> wrote in message
> ProTools reccommends recording tracks to an external hard drive
> instead of your system drive. Yet when I specify my external firewire
> drive as the place to save the session, I get "DAE error -9131 was
> encountered" when trying to record a track. I've reformatted my drive
> without OS X journaling, as recommended, but I still get this error.
> If saving to the system drive, everything's peachy. Any suggestions?

Need some more info. What interface, PT version, mac and os are you using?
What is a 9131 error? Have you tried doing a search over at
www.digidesign.com ? You may try asking in their forums.
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 7:50:51 AM

There were five results from the Digi site concerning
-9131 errors:

******************
Try plugging the FireWire drive into the FireWire port on the front of the
Mac G5. Plug the Digi 002 into a FireWire port on the back of the G5.

This solution has been known to prevent these error messages (-9131 &
6093) for some customers running supported FireWire drives on a Mac G5 with
Digi 002 or Digi 002 Racks.

***********

Reformatting the Firewire drive using Apple's Disk Utility may resolve this
issue.

Digidesign recommends initializing Firewire drives as Mac OS Extended
format using Apple's Disk Utility. Formatting the drives using other
software is not recommended.

***************

Recording to or playing from a Unix File System (UFS) formatted drive is
not supported in Pro Tools 6.x.

From the Pro Tools TDM 6.0 and 6.0.1 ReadMe.

***************

This suggests the session file is corrupt in some way. Create a New Session
and use the File > Import Tracks command to transfer the tracks into the new
session file.

****************

The most likely causes:

1) The disk is corrupt - run Windows Scandisk or another disk utility.
Initialize if practical / necessary.

2) One or more audio files in the session were deleted since the session has
been open.
November 12, 2004 3:17:35 PM

> Reformatting the Firewire drive using Apple's Disk Utility may resolve this
> issue.

> Digidesign recommends initializing Firewire drives as Mac OS Extended
> format using Apple's Disk Utility. Formatting the drives using other
> software is not recommended.

Mitchell, thank you for doing some research on my behalf. I had
visited DigiDesign's site and tried as they suggested, reformatting
the drive as a Mac OS Extended disk (not using journaling) using
Apple's Disk Utility with no luck. I then tried it again, this time
selecting the option to "Zero All Data" and voila! It worked.

Thanks for your input on this. I really appreciate it. :)

-Fleemo
Anonymous
November 13, 2004 3:10:47 AM

"Fleemo" <fleemo17@comcast.net> wrote in message news:79a519dd.0411121217.502d916@posting.google.com...
> > Reformatting the Firewire drive using Apple's Disk Utility may resolve this
> > issue.
>
> > Digidesign recommends initializing Firewire drives as Mac OS Extended
> > format using Apple's Disk Utility. Formatting the drives using other
> > software is not recommended.
>
> Mitchell, thank you for doing some research on my behalf. I had
> visited DigiDesign's site and tried as they suggested, reformatting
> the drive as a Mac OS Extended disk (not using journaling) using
> Apple's Disk Utility with no luck. I then tried it again, this time
> selecting the option to "Zero All Data" and voila! It worked.
>
> Thanks for your input on this. I really appreciate it. :)
>
> -Fleemo

Thanks for posting your solution...

DM
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 3:45:06 PM

The Digi 002 and Digi 002 Rack hardware units do not like to share
FireWire ports with external drives on the same FireWire port card. I
bought a separate FireWire card to plug my drives into to take care of
the problem that I was having with my G5. There are recommended
compatible FireWire cards listed on the Digidesign web site. I bought
an Adaptec Firewire card. Everything works great now!
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 1:34:34 AM

Suggestion: Get rid of Protools and go with something more user
friendly...maybe Adobe Audition? :-)

I tried Protools, sold it a week after I bought it because the software
was soo buggy...but I'm using a PC, it might be less buggier for Macs.
I still don't get why people love Digidesign so much? :-/
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 10:30:02 AM

"www.HassanAnsari.com - Teen Prodigy" <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote in message
> Suggestion: Get rid of Protools and go with something more user
> friendly...maybe Adobe Audition? :-)
>
> I tried Protools, sold it a week after I bought it because the software
> was soo buggy...but I'm using a PC, it might be less buggier for Macs.
> I still don't get why people love Digidesign so much? :-/

Probably because Digidesign and Macintosh were in bed with one another
around 18 years ago with the development of the first stereo digital audio
editing system, SoundDesigner.... hence the beginning of the studio defacto
standard, since that was simply all that was available. It's hard to fathom that
the first "Pro Tools" system was simply an enhanced stereo editor with whopping
FOUR TRACK capability.

--
David Morgan (MAMS)
http://www.m-a-m-s DOT com

I work all the time, and so does my partner, large money gigs. We
don't use ProTools. Get used to that.

Philip Perkins
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 3:57:18 PM

Adobe Audition? As in maybe someday you can AUDITION for an assistant
engineer gig at a Pro Tools studio. Engineers that work, regularly work in
Pro Tools. Get used to it.

Jack

"www.HassanAnsari.com - Teen Prodigy" <AbnoticCo@aol.com> wrote in message
> Suggestion: Get rid of Protools and go with something more user
> friendly...maybe Adobe Audition? :-)
>
> I tried Protools, sold it a week after I bought it because the software
> was soo buggy...but I'm using a PC, it might be less buggier for Macs.
> I still don't get why people love Digidesign so much? :-/

December 26, 2004 7:25:08 PM

I like PTLE, for the price the digi 002 and pt software is pretty
darned awesome.

I kind of like the idea of the naysayers talking smack about it. This
is a competative business after all. so they can carry on off the
beaten path.

People used to swear by their Betamaxes too.
Dean
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 7:42:44 PM

On 26 Dec 2004 16:25:08 -0800, "db" <deanbowlus@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>I like PTLE, for the price the digi 002 and pt software is pretty
>darned awesome.
>
>I kind of like the idea of the naysayers talking smack about it. This
>is a competative business after all. so they can carry on off the
>beaten path.
>
>People used to swear by their Betamaxes too.

The Betamax format may have lost the battle, but they *were* better.

Al
Anonymous
December 26, 2004 8:04:08 PM

Jack the Hammer <jackNOSPAM!@samiam-bitstream.net> wrote:
>Adobe Audition? As in maybe someday you can AUDITION for an assistant
>engineer gig at a Pro Tools studio. Engineers that work, regularly work in
>Pro Tools. Get used to it.

Strange, I've been working regular gigs for a while now and I haven't used
Protools yet. I regularly get calls from people asking if I have Protools
in the studio, though. For the most part, that's enough to keep me from
wanting to use it; people that want a studio because it has a particular
piece of equipment are not the kind of customers I want.
--scott
December 26, 2004 9:28:09 PM

Mixing FOH for Don Rickles in Vegas doesn't count...

<spamiser@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I work all the time, and so does my partner, large money gigs. We
> don't use ProTools. Get used to that.
>
> Philip Perkins

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 11:02:41 AM

In article <cqncgo$h1b$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:

> I regularly get calls from people asking if I have Protools
> in the studio, though. For the most part, that's enough to keep me from
> wanting to use it; people that want a studio because it has a particular
> piece of equipment are not the kind of customers I want.

There's a few reasons why they might ask for ProTools:

1. It's the only "professional" name they know. Like they used to ask
if you had Neumann microphones.

2. They plan to make a lot of mistakes and expect that with ProTools
that won't matter since the mistakes can all be fixed.

3. They have ProTools at home (or work with another studio that has
it) and will fix all their mistakes elsewhere.

December 27, 2004 11:40:19 AM

Maybe there are a few more reasons:

1. 85% of Public Radio uses PT.
2. Practically all major film studios are using Avid/Pro Tools
3. Any studio that has a gold record on the wall, has at least one PT
workstation.

Guys like Phillip, who record wind chimes and rainstorms, don't need to
worry about workflow, compatability, and client perceptions.

> In article <cqncgo$h1b$1@panix2.panix.com> kludge@panix.com writes:
>
> > I regularly get calls from people asking if I have Protools
> > in the studio, though. For the most part, that's enough to keep me from
> > wanting to use it; people that want a studio because it has a particular
> > piece of equipment are not the kind of customers I want.
>
> There's a few reasons why they might ask for ProTools:
>
> 1. It's the only "professional" name they know. Like they used to ask
> if you had Neumann microphones.
>
> 2. They plan to make a lot of mistakes and expect that with ProTools
> that won't matter since the mistakes can all be fixed.
>
> 3. They have ProTools at home (or work with another studio that has
> it) and will fix all their mistakes elsewhere.

December 27, 2004 8:55:52 PM

<< > I regularly get calls from people asking if I have Protools
> in the studio, though. >>

So do I, but I'd say that 90% of the time what the question is really is "Do
you have a DAW?". Almost all my clients are completely non-partisan about DAW
brands & all I have to do is tell them that Digital Performer does everything
that ProTools does, & they're happy. For most people "ProTools" is a generic,
like "Kleenex".

Scott Fraser
January 2, 2005 10:59:44 PM

!