Upgrading an old PC

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
My girlfriend has an old PC.
One of those HP Pavilions.
The P1 with MMX technology crap.
Anyway she doesnt use the computer much mainly for doing some homework. Or chatting. She started playing sims.
But it gets extremly slow.
I popped the case open and there were 2 Sticks.
It only recognized 32megs.
I tried to put in a old 128sdram that I had from a diff compuer but it wouldnt recognize it. I just want her to have fun with her crappy game. Not sure what to put in there or why it didnt recognize the 128.

Any clue what to upgrade it with there is only 2 slots.

Lonemagi

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2002
on th 128 mem, are there chips on both sides? how many? Some of those older boards can only handle 128mb, which means if there are 2 dimm slots, you need 2 64mb chips of ram, 4 slots would mean 3 32mbchips and so on.

---------

If the Scatman can do it so can you...

---------

Zergling

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2002
where could i buy those old chips.
Liek a 64 meg stick or 2.
The processor is p1 mmx 200mhz or something.
Its an old computer and it works for her.
She doesnt want or need a new computer.
Just some ram so she can play her damn sims.

Crashman our forum "God" has a few of them for sale. I think I have one stick of 32mb 16chips double sided lying arround somewhere.

Do a search for Crashman and send him a private message. I'm sure he can fix you up . If not send me one with your address and I'll send it out to you.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Look at the chipset north bridge, one of the two large chips on the board (other than the cpu). The second line of writing should have two letter where the second one is an X. If it says VX, you're limitted to modules with 2MB/chip or less, so that a 16-chip DIMM can only support 32MB.

Worse yet, if it's an HX chipset it only supports the rare EDO DIMMS.

I have some of those ultra low desity SDRAM modules if you need them.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>