Modem problem

Rolen27

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
I've got a USR hardware modem (can't remember the model but it's the $70 hardware model) that is being set to com5 by win98. I don't have anything else running on com ports (at least that I know of). The keyboard and mouse are both PS/2. The printer is USB. The only other device I have is a GeForce4 vid card. The motherboard is a Soyo KT400.

I've tried moving the modem to all the different slots. Nothing works. Win98 always puts the modem on com5. Even when I try to force the modem to com1 or com2, Windows still installs another modem on com5. The "more info" button does get a response on com5, but when you try to actually dial, there's a hardware failure. Com1 and com2 don't work at all. I've tried changing the com port setting in the bios and that didn't have any effect.

I don't know what else to try. So if anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's a hardware model you will need to look at the documentation to figure out the jumper settings, or else try to make sense of the writing on the card itself, and that way you'll know the exact configuration of the modem for future reference.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Rolen27

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2002
There aren't any jumpers...

USR told me it only works on com5 and it's probably just a bad modem. *sighs*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, well, USR sucks. I use Lucent 1646T00 modems almost exclusively. The newer Lucent modems also suck. Intel chipset modems seem to be OK.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

UsHeR_564

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
There's nothing wrong with running a modem on Com5! I have seen several do that and they use IRQ3.

As far as the "USR sucks" comment goes, that's not true, IMHO. Those are the best of the best! Being on an analog dialup for the past 7 years has given me the opportunity to do a bunch of modem testing and for my money, there's none better than a USR hardware modem anywhere. With the new motherboards not having any ISA slots, the USR 5610b hardware modem seems to be the best.

If USR told you that the modem has failed, then it obviously has. Lightning is the number one cause of this as most ppl don't put a lightning supressor on their phone lines. Bite the bullet and go ahead and get another one, you won't be sorry.

FYI, software modems. The best I've seen of these are the ones with the Rockwell/Conexant chipset. They aren't as good as the hardware modems mind you, but they work well in most applications other than gaming and are cheap on Pricewatch.com at around $15.

UsHeR_564

"You can run, but your punk ass will only die tired!"