New Computer Help

joepa99

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
Hello all...

I am new to the website and message board, and have a a question about building a new computer.

I will have around a $2000 budget for building my computer from the ground up. I will be using the computer at home for mostly Internet usage and gaming, with some MS Office work. I will probably use it for digital video editing in the next 12-18 months as well. This will also be the main computer in a home network; I will have a laptop and an older desktop connected.

My two questions would be 1) If I were to purchase all the components in the next two months, what would you recommend getting that will upgradable and expandable for the next five years? 2)If I were to purchase the components over the next six months, what would be the best order to purchase the items in order to get better hardware in six months for the same price now?

Thanks for your help!

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
You are asking us to tell the future. In my experience and looking at the past 15 years of computer development no computer will last for 5 years. If you have $2000 (oh by the way is that US$ ???) you have plenty to buy top of the pops now.
I recommend you take one component at a time. Figure out whether you want P4 or AMD. Find the best mobo for that. Equip it with lots of RAM and a lot of harddisk space.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
<A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Don't want to start a war, but a P4 system will be more silent because the CPU run cooler than AMD CPUs, so you don't need much of a case cooling (when I used AMD XP CPU I needed multiple case fans to make sure everything is cool, with the new P4 setup I rarely run 1 case fan and still get lower temperatures than before). But it cost more to setup a P4 system.

See if your work softwares are optimized for Intel or for both, it's a good start on deciding which way to go.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking.... great silence</font color=red>