d.i. box question

Status
Not open for further replies.

what is the advantage of using a d.i. box, instead of just a jack to
xlr cable? what does it do exactly, a d.i. box? for example, if i
perform using my laptop with a simple stereo jack output, what's the
better: a double d.i. box or a simple "stereo jack to Y xlr" cable?
thx a lot,

bertt

Agent86

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004

Bert Aerts wrote:

> what is the advantage of using a d.i. box, instead of just a jack to
> xlr cable? what does it do exactly, a d.i. box? for example, if i
> perform using my laptop with a simple stereo jack output, what's the
> better: a double d.i. box or a simple "stereo jack to Y xlr" cable?
> thx a lot,

The direct box balances your signal & matches its level & impedence to the
console mic inputs. If you're feeding line level inputs AND your sound
system inputs are less than 10 feet away AND there's no RF or EMI
interference in the environment, you can probably live without a DI. If
you're sending a feed to a console offstage, you're gonna need 'em.

In article <6894667a.0411131113.17082ec8@posting.google.com>,
Bert Aerts <bert_aerts@advalvas.be> wrote:
>what is the advantage of using a d.i. box, instead of just a jack to
>xlr cable? what does it do exactly, a d.i. box? for example, if i
>perform using my laptop with a simple stereo jack output, what's the
>better: a double d.i. box or a simple "stereo jack to Y xlr" cable?
>thx a lot,

This is discussed in the FAQ.
--scott

Bert Aerts wrote:

> what is the advantage of using a d.i. box, instead of just a jack to
> xlr cable? what does it do exactly, a d.i. box? for example, if i
> perform using my laptop with a simple stereo jack output, what's the
> better: a double d.i. box or a simple "stereo jack to Y xlr" cable?
> thx a lot,

Several advantages.

Notably it provides 'galvanic isolation' meaning that there's no common
ground. This is especially useful for eliminating ground ( hum ) loops.
May require activation of the 'ground lift' switch.

Usually it also provides an option of level matching from the source to
the console. E.g. it becomes possible to connect speaker level outputs
to console inputs.

Also, the transformer / circuitry ( if powered ) can present a high
impedance to the source that wouldn't be possible when using the
console. This is good to avoid loading pickups that are usually Hi-Z
whilst consoles tend to be kinda Lo-Z.

The output is also normally balanced which also helps noise rejection.

Graham

>In article <6894667a.0411131113.17082ec8@posting.google.com>,
>Bert Aerts <bert_aerts@advalvas.be> wrote:
>>what is the advantage of using a d.i. box, instead of just a jack to
>>xlr cable? what does it do exactly, a d.i. box?

for example, if i
>>perform using my laptop with a simple stereo jack output, what's the
>>better: a double d.i. box or a simple "stereo jack to Y xlr" cable?
>>thx a lot,

A simple stereo jack output is three wire unbalanced (L channel, R channel,
ground for both). Hooking it up from a stereo jack to a "Y" XLR cable would
still be unbalanced, assuming you got the correct hot wires to pin 2 of the
XLR's and wire the ground to pin 1 and 3.

Since it's line level, why not just use stereo to "Y" mono 1/4" phone jacks.
Then you can plug those into separate DI's or straight into line inputs on the
board (under 6'). Should you use the DI's make sure you plug the XLR outs into
the mic inputs on the board. The DI's knock the fool outta your signal. It's
the trade off for getting rid of hum, noise, etc.

A passive DI should be ok since the computer output is an active input to the
DI.
Money will determine how good a one you buy. Anywhere from $25 to $150.

I'm not real sure I'm understanding what you're asking, so if I wrote something
stupid, please ignore it. What I write looks stupid most of the time anyway.
:>)

But it's ON TOPIC.

--Wayne

-"sounded good to me"-