Printer Memory

pepokun

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2003
Hi
I have an EPSON EPL-6100 with 8Mb, supposely only around 5Mb are available. I want to buy more memory, but i am not sure, i want to print documents with some graphics, but i would like to have the maximum resolution (1200dpi) to read more without problems the text in the graphics.
Is really necessary to have high amount of memory with this resolution? there are three sizes 32, 64 and 128Mb

Please help me

M39shadow

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2003
The only reason to add memory to a printer is if it is an office environment so that it can store spooled print jobs or so that print jobs can be spooled to the printer faster.

The caveate to this would be if you don't have your print settings set to spool the print job (i.e. Printing directly to the port).

When you print, Windows spools the print job out to virtual memory on the PC. Windows then begins feeding the printer memory the print job and the printer will begin printing. It only feeds as much information at a time as the printers memory will hold and as the printer requests additional information.

If this isn't happening, check your printer settings. The spool settings are usually on the Advanced tab of the print preferences in Windows XP.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by m39shadow on 03/01/04 11:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

lasermemory

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2004
Laser printers have to hold the entire page in memory, before they can print the page.
Adding memory to the laser printer, will in addition to the effects already mentioned (faster spooling) allow you to print more complex pages/graphics.
Windows CANNOT compensate for lack of printer memory, it is impossible for it to do so, as once the printer has ran out of memory, it has ran out! Windows cannot make the printer hold more memory than is physically possible.

Your manual for this model states
and i qoute -

Graphics don't print correctly
Cause
You may need more memory.
What to do
Graphics require large amounts of memory. Lower the Print Quality setting in the printer driver or install more memory

ken

www.lasermemory.com - Low cost Laser printer memory upgrades for Brother and HP