StriderRyu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
I'm trying to build a new computer and I've decided to get the Asus P4G8X motherboard. My questions are, how do I decide which PC**** number to buy for the RAM (it says to use PC2100, but I'm curious if there's something faster I can use with a different motherboard). Also, what is ECC and is non-ECC bad? (The board says to use non-ECC RAM) Thanks in advance.

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Right now PC 2700 is a good buy. There are faster (notably 3200), but IMHO pc 3200 still hasn't stabelized enough yet, and is difficult to get with a good cas latencies.

ECC stands for error code correction. It is relatively rare memory and is used almost exclusively by servers. It is slightly slower than standfard non-ecc, but it is more stable. If your motherboard doesn't support it then ecc ram will not work at all, so do not buy it (it is rarer and more expensive anyway).

I would recommend pc-2700 with CL 2 (CL= Cas Latencey, the lower the faster the memory performs).

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you can find it cheaper, get PC3200 cas2.5. Then "overclock" it to cas2.

It will work if you're running at 166mhz, and not 200mhz.

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser