Sync: Reel to Reel and DAW

Last response: in Home Audio
November 14, 2004 1:21:40 PM

Hello,

Im just looking in to some set up ideas. I know I want to have a 16 or
24 track reel to reel, and a DAW of some sort. Maybe Cubase or
Neuendo. But Who would I sync them up and how much would this cost me
(to sync that is). I would but TC on one track and then.....ahhhh i
dont know, any help?

More about : sync reel reel daw

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 8:07:47 PM

In article <80679cb2.0411141021.2e0addbf@posting.google.com> woodstocknacesonictemple@hotmail.com writes:

> I want to have a 16 or
> 24 track reel to reel, and a DAW of some sort. Maybe Cubase or
> Neuendo. But Who would I sync them up and how much would this cost me
> (to sync that is). I would but TC on one track and then.....ahhhh i
> dont know, any help?

Put time code on one track of the reel-to-reel recorder (which means
you have a 15 or 23 track, or maybe 14 or 22 track if you find that
you need to leave an empty track between the time code track and
tracks you actually want to use in your mix.

Then send the time code to your DAw and tell it to chase time code.
Practically all of them do it. If you have an audio interface card for
your computer that generates and receives SMPTE time code directly,
then all you need is a couple of cables. If you have to use MIDI time
code, you'll need a box to convert between MTC and SMPTE time code,
$100 or less.

November 15, 2004 12:09:10 AM

>From: woodstocknacesonictemple@hotmail.com (J. Nace)
>Date: 11/14/04 1:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
>
>Hello,
>
>Im just looking in to some set up ideas. I know I want to have a 16 or
>24 track reel to reel, and a DAW of some sort. Maybe Cubase or
>Neuendo. But Who would I sync them up and how much would this cost me
>(to sync that is). I would but TC on one track and then.....ahhhh i
>dont know, any help?

Look at MOTU's web site.
http://www.motu.com/
Related resources
November 15, 2004 12:09:11 AM

MidiMan Smartsync or similar (I think it $50 - $100) should do it. The
idea is that the box generates a midi time screech which you record
onto one track of the R2R. (known as "striping the tape"). When you
playback the tape it sends the midi play command to your software
through the midi card . That's the basic first principle approach with
various levels of sophistication, expense, functionality etc depending
on what deck you bought. You usually need a "guard track", i.e. a
blank track adjacent to the midi/fax screech noise as it will bleed to
the next channel if you don't. I was cutting edge in 1988 and the envy
of others with this setup. keep rockin', s.

On 14 Nov 2004 21:09:10 GMT, bruwhaha58097238@aol.com (Raymond) wrote:

>>From: woodstocknacesonictemple@hotmail.com (J. Nace)
>>Date: 11/14/04 1:21 PM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Im just looking in to some set up ideas. I know I want to have a 16 or
>>24 track reel to reel, and a DAW of some sort. Maybe Cubase or
>>Neuendo. But Who would I sync them up and how much would this cost me
>>(to sync that is). I would but TC on one track and then.....ahhhh i
>>dont know, any help?
>>

>Look at MOTU's web site.
>http://www.motu.com/
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:52:00 AM

> I know I want to have a 16 or
>24 track reel to reel, and a DAW of some sort. But >Who would I sync them up
and how much would this >cost me (to sync that is).

My normal way of doing things is to sync 1" 16-trk to Pro Tools LE, so I might
be able to help here...

Here's how i do it. When you sync 2 or more devices, it is what is called a
master/slave relationship, and you have only one master. Funny stuff! Back
when I started sync'in' my MS16 to other things, the reality was that digital
stuff didn't slave well but was a fairly bitchin' master, as these things go...

The scenario is as folows. You have a master outputting timecode and slave(s)
either sync'ing themselves to that or being controlled by a device that locks
them to the master. I use and Adams-Smith Zeta III as a TC generator, stripe
it on both Pro Tools and the analog machine, then hook it all up! The Zeta is
then recieving the timecode output from the track I striped on the DAW, and
timecode from the analog deck, and it is plugged into the autolocator port of
the analog deck so that it can directly control the reel motors of the slaved
deck and force it to lock up (and stay locked) with the DAW.

I routinely move things back and forth from the analog to the DAW... as long as
the machines are locked up, it works pretty well....

....it works pretty well (knock on wood). Advice: be superstitious about
timecode. Fear timecode. Timecode is a cruel mistress. It's a harsh toke on
the reality pipe sometimes. When things go wrong with timecode, they go
mind-bendingly wrong. Dot all "i"'s. cross all "T"'s.

Other DAW's, and the big Daddy Pro Tools, have timecode generation/syncing
built-in. In that case, you would use the timecode generator in the DAW to
stripe a track on the analog deck, and them the analog deck would be the master
and the DAW would slave to it. That is sort of worse-case scenario though...
taking a device that is solid with regards to time and slaving it to a
drifter...

Timecode is a rite of passage. Good luck!

-jeff
June 17, 2009 9:40:06 PM

Quote:

> I know I want to have a 16 or
>24 track reel to reel, and a DAW of some sort. But >Who would I sync them up
and how much would this >cost me (to sync that is).

My normal way of doing things is to sync 1" 16-trk to Pro Tools LE, so I might
be able to help here...

Here's how i do it. When you sync 2 or more devices, it is what is called a
master/slave relationship, and you have only one master. Funny stuff! Back
when I started sync'in' my MS16 to other things, the reality was that digital
stuff didn't slave well but was a fairly bitchin' master, as these things go...

The scenario is as folows. You have a master outputting timecode and slave(s)
either sync'ing themselves to that or being controlled by a device that locks
them to the master. I use and Adams-Smith Zeta III as a TC generator, stripe
it on both Pro Tools and the analog machine, then hook it all up! The Zeta is
then recieving the timecode output from the track I striped on the DAW, and
timecode from the analog deck, and it is plugged into the autolocator port of
the analog deck so that it can directly control the reel motors of the slaved
deck and force it to lock up (and stay locked) with the DAW.

I routinely move things back and forth from the analog to the DAW... as long as
the machines are locked up, it works pretty well....

....it works pretty well (knock on wood). Advice: be superstitious about
timecode. Fear timecode. Timecode is a cruel mistress. It's a harsh toke on
the reality pipe sometimes. When things go wrong with timecode, they go
mind-bendingly wrong. Dot all "i"'s. cross all "T"'s.

Other DAW's, and the big Daddy Pro Tools, have timecode generation/syncing
built-in. In that case, you would use the timecode generator in the DAW to
stripe a track on the analog deck, and them the analog deck would be the master
and the DAW would slave to it. That is sort of worse-case scenario though...
taking a device that is solid with regards to time and slaving it to a
drifter...

Timecode is a rite of passage. Good luck!

-jeff

Hello Jeff.
I recently bought an otari mx 5050 8 rack and a zeta three III.
I wa wondering if you can explain in detail how to sync this two.
Do you receive TC from both (PT LE and the tape machine)?
How do you connect the zeta three to the autolocator?

Thanks for the help.

Paul.

!