Recommend a digital only audio I/O card for PC

Last response: in Home Audio
November 15, 2004 2:03:53 AM

What it says.

I have a new computer and my ISA card won't fit anymore. I need SPDIF and
ADAT I/O (8 channels) and no analog, and I don't want to pay a lot for it.

My first choice is a Frontier Dakota card.

What do you like?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:03:54 AM

Carey Carlan wrote:

> I have a new computer and my ISA card won't fit anymore. I need SPDIF and
> ADAT I/O (8 channels) and no analog, and I don't want to pay a lot for it.

Cheaper: used RME Hammerfall 9636/9652

Better: RME Hammerfall DSP 9636 or 9552
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 2:03:54 AM

Carey Carlan wrote:

> I have a new computer and my ISA card won't fit anymore. I need SPDIF and
> ADAT I/O (8 channels) and no analog, and I don't want to pay a lot for it.

Cheaper: used RME Hammerfall Digi9636 (or Digi9652, basically the 9636 with an expander card)
Better: RME HDSP9632 or HDSP9652
Related resources
November 15, 2004 2:50:52 AM

The Frontier Dakota, and before that the WaveCenter, and they have both been
solid as a rock.

"Carey Carlan" <gulfjoe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What it says.
>
> I have a new computer and my ISA card won't fit anymore. I need SPDIF and
> ADAT I/O (8 channels) and no analog, and I don't want to pay a lot for it.
>
> My first choice is a Frontier Dakota card.
>
> What do you like?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 7:28:35 PM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:03:53 GMT, Carey Carlan <gulfjoe@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>What it says.
>
>I have a new computer and my ISA card won't fit anymore. I need SPDIF and
>ADAT I/O (8 channels) and no analog, and I don't want to pay a lot for it.
>
>My first choice is a Frontier Dakota card.
>
>What do you like?

I've used Frontier Wavecenter and RME Digi cards. Both sounded
excellent (i.e., transparent). The RME drivers placed less load on the
CPU while recording. Both cards were about the same for output.
Mike T.
!