mbox with an old G4

Last response: in Home Audio
November 14, 2004 8:28:14 PM

i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
or an mbox on a slower g4 system?

More about : mbox

Anonymous
November 14, 2004 11:02:37 PM

"Jon Grey" <jgrey45@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
> read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
> than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
> or an mbox on a slower g4 system?

I have used the MBox on my G3 500mhz iBook with no problem.
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 12:13:49 AM

> i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
> read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
> than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
> or an mbox on a slower g4 system?

The current Protools might have some issues, but the Mbox itself will work
fine, though older software may be required, though quite unlikely.
November 15, 2004 6:38:54 AM

Jon Grey wrote:
> i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
> read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
> than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
> or an mbox on a slower g4 system?

Don't do it
I have a g4 400 and can not get a m-audio 410 firewire to work relibly
though everyone tells me it is not the 400 vs 500 speed, nobody has
found the real problem either
November 15, 2004 11:51:55 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 20:28:14 -0500, Jon Grey wrote
(in article <2bc4149d.0411141728.55792f08@posting.google.com>):

> i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
> read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
> than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
> or an mbox on a slower g4 system?

Dunno, I'm running a digi 001 on a 500MHz G4. Of course it has a PCI card
rather than USB for an I/O.

I did review the Mbox and on that review I used the G4, so I know it works. I
probably didn't push it to all 24 (now 32) tracks.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:53:10 AM

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:38:54 -0500, George Gleason wrote
(in article <ixVld.906612$Gx4.184075@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>):

> Jon Grey wrote:
>> i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
>> read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
>> than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
>> or an mbox on a slower g4 system?
>
> Don't do it
> I have a g4 400 and can not get a m-audio 410 firewire to work relibly
> though everyone tells me it is not the 400 vs 500 speed, nobody has
> found the real problem either

Different problems; Firewire, another mfgr,

Ty Ford

BTW to the original poster what OS are you using?

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 5:41:17 PM

Ty Ford wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:38:54 -0500, George Gleason wrote
> (in article <ixVld.906612$Gx4.184075@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>):
>

>>Jon Grey wrote:
>>
>>>i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
>>>read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
>>>than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
>>>or an mbox on a slower g4 system?
>>
>>Don't do it
>>I have a g4 400 and can not get a m-audio 410 firewire to work relibly
>>though everyone tells me it is not the 400 vs 500 speed, nobody has
>>found the real problem either
>

> Different problems; Firewire, another mfgr,

I was simply stating one should adhere to a mfgrs "minimum" specs and
not "expect " a device spec ed for a 800 speed to work with a 400 speed
machine
George
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 7:26:08 PM

Ty Ford <tyreeford@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<HYKdnT4tsLVbKQXcRVn-uA@comcast.com>...
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:38:54 -0500, George Gleason wrote
> (in article <ixVld.906612$Gx4.184075@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>):
>
> > Jon Grey wrote:
> >> i have an older powerbook g4 400mhz and i would like to get an mbox. i
> >> read on their website that digidesign didnt test any powerbooks lower
> >> than the 800mhz model. does anyone have any experience with pro tools
> >> or an mbox on a slower g4 system?
> >
> > Don't do it
> > I have a g4 400 and can not get a m-audio 410 firewire to work relibly
> > though everyone tells me it is not the 400 vs 500 speed, nobody has
> > found the real problem either
>
> Different problems; Firewire, another mfgr,
>
> Ty Ford
>
> BTW to the original poster what OS are you using?
>

> -- Ty Ford's equipment reviews, audio samples, rates and other audiocentric
> stuff are at www.tyford.com

im running osx 10.3
!