Sign in with
Your question

98SE still the king of OS in my book

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
March 25, 2002 6:04:30 AM

I was running a dual boot for a while and am probably going back from XP Pro to 98SE for my main system.

I can back why 98SE is better for now too.

Why you might ask.. drivers, many more drivers and devices are more compatible with each other under 98se.

My example is my ATI TV wonder and Geforce 2 GTS, a scrambled image comes up everytime I turn on the tv image under XP. Under 98SE, no such problem.

#2, DOS game support. I'm replaying Monkey Island 2 right now and under XP I get no dos sound blaster support. I have used VDS emulation of a sound blaster but its not the real thing.

#3,and not such a pain for hardware. I use antec's easy usb front panel usb ports and use my thrustmaster dual power forcefeedback gamepad through it.. under XP with the lastest drivers it continually comes up with "do you want to authorize this unauthorized driver blah blah" and it makes me click on that TWICE, everytime I plug in my gamepad.
Under 98se with the latest drivers, doesnt happen.
Not a huge deal but just another bad strike.

As far as stablility goes, my 98se crashed as much as my xp system does, little to none.

I realize DOS is never coming back for my dos games but I am sad if I want to play one of my oldies it has no sound.

Some report no problems running older windows applications, I've tried some older titles I used to enjoy like Virtua Fighter 1 and could not get them to run.
Also, bleem works under 98se and 95 but not under XP, thats using compatiblity mode of course, still no go.
I paid for my bleem! too.

The future is passing me by but I just cant let go of my old games. I have many I still want to play again including my favorite games, Buck Rogers (dos RPG) 1 & 2, Street Rod (very cool game!), Willy Beamish (never did finish that one), One Must Fall 2097, Heimdall, Gobliiins.. and Stunts, Stunts is a very cool game even today.

I feel sorry for the windows only gamers who only saw win 3.0/3.1 and 95+ and wish better dos support was in my XP.

The performance of games decreased with the popularity of windows 95 over DOS6, now the performance of your games has decreased with the popularity of XP over 98.
And I can tell with my eyes the speed difference in games such as Dirt Track Racing Sprint Cars with my GTS and 4x antialiasing on in both OS's.

Go ahead attack me like every other 98se lover gets flamed, dos is dead but the games will live on.
Hope I helped some of the old school gamers out.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?

More about : 98se king book

March 25, 2002 7:11:30 AM

win98se rules
March 25, 2002 6:20:40 PM

That make's sense, thanks for sharing that. It would be interesting if you posted that on the XP Forum. It would be like hitting a bee hive with a stick. Hahaha
Related resources
March 25, 2002 8:10:00 PM

I feel sorry for you =\.

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>
March 25, 2002 8:23:06 PM

Bzzzz Bzzzzz
Bzzz Bzzzzz Bzzzzz

*STING*

:tongue:

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
March 25, 2002 9:07:45 PM

Quote:

My example is my ATI TV wonder and Geforce 2 GTS, a scrambled image comes up everytime I turn on the tv image under XP. Under 98SE, no such problem.

Use my <A HREF="http://members.rogers.com/amd_man/atifix5.zip" target="_new">patch</A>. :wink:

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 27, 2002 12:35:00 AM

The patch works but it shouldnt be necessary. I've seen you on rage3d :-) Great job though.
I think under XP with a ATI Tv Wonder if you even click on the resources tab the computer will reset itself immediately.
Thats not really microsofts problem as ati's drivers arent certified but they should because it makes them look bad to a point if someone wasnt informed on who to blame.

I cant post it in WinXP forum, no trollin here! I just wanted to share that with everyone because the majority here loves XP. For good reason but theres some very good reasons to wait until XP SE (spring 2003) is released IMO.

"dude your getting a dell", is that kid trying to say he wants to stick his 'dell' in you?
March 27, 2002 7:16:53 PM

ATI has stopped supporting their TV Wonder series, or so it seems. It's up to guys like me to make workaround patches.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
!