ddasilva

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2002
What is better...RDRAM (1066) or DDR? I am looking to buy a computer and I dont know if I want RDRAM or DDR? Please help!

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
RD ram is better right now, but is more expensive.

It seems like there's new chipsets coming out for the Pentium every 3 days or so. I hear that the dual-channel DDR chipset from SIS will likely outperform the current DR Ram chipsets, and be cheeper as well, and will be out before Christmas.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
SiS said a couple weeks ago it was finished but production delayed to make room for a surge in demand for the 648 chipset. But recent news says they might be revising it before release to support Intel's future "800" FSB (QDR200) so that it will be competitive not only with Granit Bay, but with Springdale as well.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

HolyShiznit

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
RDRAM, though a bit more costly, is nice and fast. I'm not sure if it's a cost-effective option though.

I don't know how big of a problem it is, but aren't some less-reputable vendors selling 800RDRAM as 1066RDRAM? I remember reading about that somewhere.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, when I ordered my system, I ordered a PC1066 system. Fortunately they were out of stock. Why do I say fortunately? I didn't need it. Now the same money that would have bought me an 8500, 1.8A, and RDRAM board/memory soon will be able to buy me a 9700 Pro, 1.8A, and Dual Channel DDR board/memory, due to the price drop of the 9700 Pro, 1.8A, and the $100 savings in memory cost.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>