Nomad Jukebox 3, Sony Hi-MD not Mac compatible?

Last response: in Home Audio
November 14, 2004 9:43:59 PM

Are there any similar units compatible with Panther? I find that
people these days want a CD immediately after a live stereo recording
session. Fortunately, the Powerbook is excellent for the task, but I'd
like to record concurrently to a backup system. The Nomad and Sony are
good candidates if I were running a PC, because apparently you can
upload the wav or sony file to the computer. So, don't ask me to get a
DAT because that's real time, and don't suggest I get a PC. There's
got to be some low-cost consumer item that's OSX compatible, right?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:21:15 AM

> Are there any similar units compatible with Panther? I find that
> people these days want a CD immediately after a live stereo recording
> session. Fortunately, the Powerbook is excellent for the task, but I'd
> like to record concurrently to a backup system. The Nomad and Sony are
> good candidates if I were running a PC, because apparently you can
> upload the wav or sony file to the computer. So, don't ask me to get a
> DAT because that's real time, and don't suggest I get a PC. There's
> got to be some low-cost consumer item that's OSX compatible, right?

Absolutely not, and there never will be. Apple is protecting its
iTunes/iPod monopoly in the Mac market. 18 months ago I was a 10-year Mac
user, but the prospect of the NJB3 for live recording use combined with the
inefficiency of audio software on G4/G5 Macs made me switch to XP, and
frankly it's the best thing I've ever done. But you don't want to hear
about how I've used my NJB3 for professional applications enough to pay for
it at least 35x over... over 700 hours logged... no back-up... not one
single dropped sample...

If you're hell-bent on staying with Mac, surely you know someone with a PC
that would let you transfer off the NJB3 on the very rare occasion that it
might be necessary...
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 4:21:16 AM

in article tSXld.9675$hp3.1131587@read2.cgocable.net, Sugarite at
nobody@home.com wrote on 11/14/04 10:21 PM:

> The Nomad and Sony are
>> good candidates if I were running a PC, because apparently you can
>> upload the wav or sony file to the computer. So, don't ask me to get a
>> DAT because that's real time, and don't suggest I get a PC. There's
>> got to be some low-cost consumer item that's OSX compatible, right?
>
> Absolutely not, and there never will be.

I was just looking at Creative Labs' website today and they specify several
of their products as being Mac compatible: The Nomad II, Nomad II MG, Nomad
Jukebox, Jukebox C, and the Jukebox 20 GB. I did a cursory search on the
Creative Labs' ebay site and didn't find any of these for sale.

Hmmmmmm. Where are they? And WHY has Creative Labs only specified certain
models (and seemingly non-obtainable models at that) as Mac OS compatible.

I'd love to get one for my Mac, too. Wah. Always left out in the cold. If
anyone finds one of these specific models for sale, please do let us know.

Carlos
November 15, 2004 3:50:07 PM

bayydogg <bayareamusician@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Are there any similar units compatible with Panther? I find that
>people these days want a CD immediately after a live stereo recording
>session. Fortunately, the Powerbook is excellent for the task, but I'd
>like to record concurrently to a backup system. The Nomad and Sony are
>good candidates if I were running a PC, because apparently you can
>upload the wav or sony file to the computer. So, don't ask me to get a
>DAT because that's real time, and don't suggest I get a PC. There's
>got to be some low-cost consumer item that's OSX compatible, right?

Try an iRiver iHP-120 (about the size of an iPod, with USB 2.0
interface) with a Denecke AD-20 or one of our Mic2496s (dual mic
pre/A-to-D). Works fine with an iBook.

moskowit@core-sound.com Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:46:51 PM

These guys make software to connect your Nomad Jukebox III to Mac:
http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/index.html

(and it's free)

"bayydogg" <bayareamusician@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are there any similar units compatible with Panther? I find that
> people these days want a CD immediately after a live stereo recording
> session. Fortunately, the Powerbook is excellent for the task, but I'd
> like to record concurrently to a backup system. The Nomad and Sony are
> good candidates if I were running a PC, because apparently you can
> upload the wav or sony file to the computer. So, don't ask me to get a
> DAT because that's real time, and don't suggest I get a PC. There's
> got to be some low-cost consumer item that's OSX compatible, right?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:56:22 PM

well, there you go. this might be the ticket. thanks.

"john smith" <ng@ngting.com> wrote in message news:<LI7md.27279$KJ6.12422@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> These guys make software to connect your Nomad Jukebox III to Mac:
> http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/index.html

Anonymous
November 17, 2004 3:48:46 AM

OK, folks, hold on. I just found a product that'll serve my purposes
precisely. It's the Edirol R-1 Portable 24-Bit WAVE Recorder & Player.
It records onto compact flash up to 2gb, and records stereo wav 16/44
and 24/44 as well as mp3. It runs on batteries or adapter, and has USB
2 transfer to Mac OSX and PC. Mic, line-in, built-in mic, spdif out,
headphone out, effects, etc. About $439 street. Specs look good.
Anybody use this already, and what do you think?
Anonymous
November 17, 2004 1:07:22 PM

In article <2bd18a8f.0411170048.d26e576@posting.google.com> bayareamusician@hotmail.com writes:

> OK, folks, hold on. I just found a product that'll serve my purposes
> precisely. It's the Edirol R-1 Portable 24-Bit WAVE Recorder & Player.

I rather liked that in concept, but I don't want another portable
recorder with mini jacks. I'm also not ready for flash memory as my
recording media. It's too expesnsive to put recorded cards on the
shelf for storage (even moderately short term, like six months or so)
and I don't know of anyone who owns enough of those cards yet who can
even assure me that the data "sticks" for that long.

So this puts an obligation on me to "unload" the recording to some
other media ASAP, perhaps even a few times mid-project. And while they
tell me that flash memory is cheap and cards up to 4 GB are
(translation - "will be soon") available, even on sale with rebates I
typically see 2 GB cards in the $140-150 range. That's about $50/hour
for 44.1 kHz 24-bit stereo recording media, about the same as 1/2"
analog tape.