high CPU utilization

I just bought WD 800JB. I installed Win98 and WinXP (on separate partitions). Under Win98 the CPU utilization is 5%, under original WinXP is(was) 10% but when I installed Service Pack 1 the utilization increased to 50-60%. Can anybody explain this behaviour or have similar experience (and maybe a solution). I use HD Tach 2.61 for testing.
5 answers Last reply
More about high utilization
  1. It sounds like UDMA is disabled. Did HD performance drop as well? Check that UDMA is enabled for the drive.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
    <A HREF="http://www.btvillarin.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=655" target="_new">My systems</A>
  2. Its also possible that SP1 overrides some of your chipset/ide drivers. It might be a good idea to reinstall the latest version of them.

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>
  3. No the UDMA is enabled. The performance stayed the same burst rate is 65MB and sequential is 40MB (average). So this is not the case. ;(
  4. Hmm... this is an idea. But I haven't installed any drivers yet. There was only clean install of WinXP and Service Pack 1, no other installations. The chipset/ide is via so ... I really wouldn't like to install any of their's ide drivers (except, if I can find one person that via ide drivers actually helped).

Thanks, anyway.
  5. its worth a try. Nowerdays the trick is drivers drivers drivers. (and UDMA settings lol)

<b>The Intel Celleron 2.1 & 2.2Ghz processors provide consumers with a great way to get on the Internet. Which one of the 478 pins plug into the phone socket? - <i>Intel & The Inquirer</i></b>
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Western Digital CPUs Storage