slavko

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Does anyone know if I can use the Creative Audigy 2(or any other card for that matter) to decode digital formats either via the PC DVD player or an incoming TV Cable signal(via TV Card) and then connect to my home theater Receiver?
I would want to send the audio to a digital input(coax or optical) and then either 1) let my receiver do the decoding or 2 connect the speaker outs from the audio card to my home speakers so that I can enjoy the benefits of more advanced home theater formats(6.1,THX, etc....).
Hope this makes sense, any info, links, how to guides would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Slavko

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Yes you can output your audio card to your stereo. I have been doing this for many years. To get true surround sound though your sound card has to be capable of that format. The media or game has to have a surround sound format to get that true processed sound. It should'nt be a problem with new cards. For example, if it dosent process THX and you use a home stereo with the THX option it would be a "false" THX surround. The media or game has to have that format. DVD PC players do have surround sound formats, for the TV card just output
from the audio card.
Use the opitical out from the card to your receivers optical input, much better sound. One thing I am not sure of is that if the optical output from the sound card, does it output a pure unprocessed signal or the surround format signal.
You can't use the sound card to drive home speakers, the amp is only a few watts. connect the inputs and use the receiver to power the speakers.
The setup is very easy. if you can hook up a stereo system, you can hookup your PC to receiver.
I will see if I can find a link for you. Home theater sites might have more info.
I hope that was'nt too confusing!

regards,
the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
found a link.
<A HREF="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,10314,00.asp" target="_new">http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,10314,00.asp</A>

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

slavko

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
Thanks for the info. One thing I am confused about...if both the video card and the sound card have a digital audio out, which one do you use? And is it accurate to say that I would no longer need a separate component dvd player if my pc has a dvd player? Would the quality be the same?

Thanks again...

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
Sorry for the delay. I have been out of town for the holidays.

You could use either digital output but if you are going to
get an Audigy 2, I would use that.

You do not need a separate component DVD player. Video quality will depend on the quality of the PC DVD, DVD player and your TV. A good PC DVD will be fine in most cases,although a higher end component player will probably do better. I do not think you will notice the difference on a regular TV though.

Something I forgot to add. With the PC you change change resolutions. You can not do that without higher end DVD
component players. They cost alot.

the Prisoner...

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by the_Prisoner on 12/05/02 00:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
When using this setup make sure you have the AC3 decoding option DE-SELECTED for your sound card. This will pass the ac3 stream directly to your receiver to process. I have this setup via digital out -> coax in for my sb live 5.1 and sony (eh) receiver. Works great.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.