Sign in with
Your question

How to tap into existing Wi-Fi LAN with my desktop...

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 31, 2012 4:13:33 AM

Hello,
Please advise me on how to go about tapping into an existing home Wi-Fi LAN with my desktop using:

1- a Wireless PCI adapter (yet to purchase one)
2- a modem I have from another ISP which I am no longer using.
3- and a Cisco Wireless Router I would like to use in addition to the existing wireless router the wi-fi LAN is using.

I am using Win7 OS which is compatible and allows wifi.

The existing network owner has invited me to use her LAN, WiFi but I don't know how to go about it.

Do I need to connect my cable modem...if so, what all do I need to do for it to work with my friend's wifi LAN?

Also, I have read that a wireless PCI adapter is more powerful than the USB wirelss adapter...is that true?

Thank you,
-Dan
October 31, 2012 6:12:16 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

When you buy your PCI card (make sure it isn't PCIe in case you don't have that facility), check first that the card can "see" the neighbour's network and connect to it. You'll need her security key but that's no problem if she's happy to share bandwidth with you.

If the signal is weak, you could use your existing wireless router as a repeater to pick the signal up and pass it to your PC. Your ISP's MODEM is unnecessary from that moment on but keep it in case the arrangement breaks down.

m
l
November 12, 2012 7:58:10 AM

Hi and thank you for your response.

Still would like to know if a PCI card is preferable to USB adapter.

And you state that my "...ISP's Modem is unnecessary from that moment on..." By this do you mean that my ISP modem becomes unnecessary if I use my existing wireless router as a repeater; or, is it unnecessary even if I don't use my wireless router as a repeater?

In other words... does my ISP modem become unnecessary ONLY IF I USE MY WIRELESS ROUTER AS A REPEATER?

Thank you,
-Dan Sacapano

Saga Lout said:

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

When you buy your PCI card (make sure it isn't PCIe in case you don't have that facility), check first that the card can "see" the neighbour's network and connect to it. You'll need her security key but that's no problem if she's happy to share bandwidth with you.

If the signal is weak, you could use your existing wireless router as a repeater to pick the signal up and pass it to your PC. Your ISP's MODEM is unnecessary from that moment on but keep it in case the arrangement breaks down.

m
l
November 12, 2012 8:23:18 AM

DanoPano said:

In other words... does my ISP modem become unnecessary ONLY IF I USE MY WIRELESS ROUTER AS A REPEATER?

No - quite the opposite - you still need it to make the Internet connection. A repeater only does what it says on the tin and without the ISP's MODEM, there's nothing to repeat.

If you use a router with its own MODEM incorporated in it, you can set that up to make the Internet connection.

m
l
!