Help extending wireless network via ethernet

doubledown70

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
I have a DIR-655 router downstairs on one side of my home. Upstairs on other side of my home wireless signal is really hit and miss. I do have ethernet in the area of my home where I am wanting to extend the signal. Is there a device I can plug into the ethernet to extend my wireless signal without creating a new network or ssid?
I have tried a powerline solution but it made me choose a new ssid and my ipad jumps between the two making it impossible to use some resources seamlessly.

Solution
You can use a AP or a router running as a AP. You just use ethernet to cable to your current router.

You can set the SSID to the same if you wish. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A pc you can set the point it will look for a new wireless connection not sure on a ipad. It will still jump between even with the same SSID
You can use a AP or a router running as a AP. You just use ethernet to cable to your current router.

You can set the SSID to the same if you wish. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. A pc you can set the point it will look for a new wireless connection not sure on a ipad. It will still jump between even with the same SSID

Solution

remixedcat

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I would just have one powerful access point. I have the Amped Wireless AP20000G and it's got hardcore coverage and I love it. I can easily stream videos 150 ft away with no problems and it's even got USB storage, and can bridge wired devices to wireless. You have huge coverage without the roaming issues ;-)

doubledown70

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Thanks. Checked out the product and I'm going to put one on order.