Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Repair Install for hardware replacement?

Last response: in Windows 7
May 21, 2012 2:07:16 AM

Hello,
I am in the process of upgrading my motherboard and cpu. The problem is that I don't want to reinstall windows 7 fresh. Can I use the repair install option to reinstall windows without losing my programs and data? Basically I need all the drivers and such to reset but not mess with the rest of my stuff.

More about : windows repair install hardware replacement

a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 5:58:41 AM

Short answer No... Win 7 unlikely to even run with your new Mobo. Best advice is to do a clean install and start afresh to avoid all sorts of problems...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 6:01:34 AM

However, if you don't want to lose your data and don't have a large backup source, you could create a new partition on your HDD and install Windows there no problem, then remove the old windows at your leisure...
m
l
a c 233 $ Windows 7
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 3:23:08 PM

Some software such as Acronis True Image Home 2012 with plus pack can clone an OS drive to a new system.

On top of all the great benefits you get with our flagship software, this optional Plus Pack offers you an additional range of special features, like the flexibility to restore files, applications and an operating system to dissimilar hardware, as well as support for Dynamic Disks and Microsoft® WindowsPreinstallation Environments (WinPE).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
m
l
Related resources
!