TV Tuner Card Recommendation

Hello,

I want to buy a TV Tuner card to watch TV on my PC and to occasionally record some videos. I don't need anything fancy, I just want to be compatible with my existing components - my video card is an ATI Radeon 8500 with 64 MB and I use Windows XP Professional.

Your recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

1. Pinnacle System makes a TV tuner and will record video like a PVR. They have a few different levels of cards. I use their video editing cards and they are very good. I have not tried their TV tuner video capture card but they make high quality stuff. I will be getting the PCTV deluxe card they make soon once I build a new computer. here is a link:
    <A HREF="http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=1008&Langue_ID=7" target="_new">http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=1008&Langue_ID=7</A>

Regards,
    the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:
  2. Although I ended up buying a small TV to put next to my computer, for about a year I used the <b>ATI TV Wonder VE</b>. I got it with a mail-in discount at Best Buy. Cost me about 30-40 dollars, I can't remember exactly how much.

Though I have no idea how it stacks up to other cards, I was impressed. With the newest support drivers (the default ones didn't run as well as the ones I managed to find on the ATI website) it runs nice and well, and can record MPEG's at varying detail/resolutions quite easily. Perfect for capturing crazy antics on RealTV. :smile:
  3. Hauppauge ... are those TV tuners any good?

Which tuner has the best video quality?
  4. I have used the Hauppage TV Tuner cards. They work very well. At Least the one I bought 3 years ago did and I bought the cheapest one I could find at the time. I did not want the remote control which costs more. Video quality is good.
    I ran a DVD and SVHS player through it. THe tuner in it is good too.
    I do not know about the newer ones and could not tell you which TV Tuner card offers the best video quality. Being able to watch TV on your monitor is a really nice function but it helps to have a larger monitor.
    If you go with Hauppage or Pinnacle TV tuner cards, you will be happy with the quality. If you want to try video capture and/or PVR time shifting stuff check out the new cards for that.
    Hopefully soon I will be trying out a PVR TV Tuner card.

Regards,
    the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:
  5. Thanks to everyone for your replies.

I think I will buy a Pinnacle PCTV Pro, which also includes an FM Tuner.

Read More

Tuner Cards TV Tuner Graphics